Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help identify old Troy-bilt tiller

Posted by gudde Mo (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 9:57

I just bought an old Troy-bilt rear-tine tiller. The previous owner indicated he bought it new in 1981. HH60 105115H 2054D
is stamped into the engine cover. "Garden-way TH-1019" is cast into a casting near where the handles bolt onto the frame".
What model of tiller is this? What are some good references to buy a manual, carburator and parts. Thanks in advance for your comments...

John.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help identify old Troy-bilt tiller

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 11:24

It's the 6HP Horse model; same as mine. You can probably see the manual online. It might be on the MTD website. If not, I have one if you have any questions.

Does your's have the detachable rear tine section with the engage/disengage knob on the left side. I bought the first year model.

o

Guys, I need help. I have the same make/model of tiller. My engine is trash. I no longer have the engine and need to know the size (diameter & length) of the output shaft of that engine (HH60-105115H) so I can get a replacement engine. Would one of you please send that info to me or post it to this thread? I thank you in advance for your time and trouble.

o

It's an old Tecumseh 6hp cast iron engine on what Troy Bilt referred to as a "Horse" tiller. It was the most popular seller for them back in the late 70's and early 80's. The "Garden-way TH-1019" cast into the trans case was some sort of manufacturing stamp that didn't mean anything. The serial number of the machine is located on trans case, stamped onto a lip of the top of the transmission, right above the wheel shaft on the right side.

To the person who is looking for a new engine for a TB tiller, good luck. Tecumseh and most other engine manufacturers don't make cast iron engines anymore. There are engines out there that will fit - but they are lighter than the original. Because of the design, when you lighten the weight of the engine, guess what happens to the rear end? It gets very heavy. The shaft size is 3/4", I can't remember the length but you'll need the keyway to match the pulley and the end needs to be tapped to accept a bolt. I've replaced a lot of TB engines over the years and found it best to use an engine with a cast iron sleeve (longer life) AND a wrap-around bumper guard to add weight to the front. Then the balance problem isn't so noticeable.

Because TB went bankrupt and MTD bought out the assets, you're only hope for parts and manuals is finding a local dealer who will get MTD parts for you. You might try the MTD website. Or find an old time TB dealer who stuck with them after the fall.

o

smallenginewarehouse.com sells replacement engines that bolt right on to your troy-bilt tiller...do some searching there, several briggs and stratton engines will fit, they even have ding and scratch units or takeoffs at a discount.

I bought a 6hp B&S "vanguard" series engine for my tiller for about $350 shipped last year.

o

I have an older model troy bilt tiller and I can not find
a model number or serial number on it. I want to replace
the tines. Troy Bilt says it built from the 1970-1990.
The only markings are Garden Way 1019. Can anyone help with a model number. Tines have a number of 70 ER.

o

Try this thread. One fellow had access to at least one Gardenway Manual.
-br

Here is a link that might be useful: Other GW tool thread

o

Please- another TB question... I acquired an old Troy bilt (pre MTD) tiller. I don't know the model and need some parts to keep it running. It has a SN- 173262, and other numbers in various places. On the front bottom of the engine (Tecumseh, ?? hp) is TH 1002. On the sides of the gear case are TH-1003-1 with "B2" under that, and TH-1001-1 and a date 5-15-75. I need to replace the two drive belts and the reverse drive friction wheel. It has two forward and two reverse speeds, and forward rotating tines. It had an electric starter but that is long dead. The pull start still works fine. What model is it and where can I get the parts?

o

I just purchased an oldie also. I had trouble finding the serial number until I used a brass brush (fine steel would have worked too) on the top right edge of the transmission case just above the right axle. The numbers appear to be hand stamped since they are not evenly spaced and aligned. My serial had five digits.

Good luck.

o
Question on old troy bilt (circa 1963)

Should I add a lead additive to the fuel since this engine was probably designed to run on leaded fuel. BTW, anyone got a web site for carb kit for this HH60 Tecumseh 6 hp engine?

o

I have an '82 Horse that came with the 6 hp Tecumseh. It had set up for 10+ years and I just didn't want to mess around with the old engine. I put a horizontal shaft Briggs & Stratton 8.75 hp engine on it. It bolted right on and the pulleys fit. The balance is good, probably helped some by the bumper guard. I haven't used the hiller/furrower yet with the new setup but have confidence that it will be as good or better than before. I replaced the diamond pattern tires with lug type and after all these years it is doing the job in a garden about 200'x 60'. I'm thinking about giving it a fresh coat of paint and running it for another 20+ years. These older original horses are awesome. The lawnmower shop where I got help and the bought the engine ($275) had a newer Troy-Bilt(MTD) tiller in for some transmission work. The shop owner stated that they are not built as heavy or strong as the older ones. If you have one of the originals, either keep it or send it to me!

o

You should be OK running unleaded gas. I'm still hoping for an ID for my tiller. Can somebody help? Also the parts source for belts/reverse drive wheel? I found a place for carb parts/kits- "Jack's Small Engines" is the name, but I can't get the website shortcut to copy/paste here. They have new carbs too, for about $50.

o

I have my Late fathers Troy bilt Econo horse which he bought in the early 70's I had installed new engine which I purchased from tractor supply company for under $400 also most parts can be purchased on E-Bay and also complete tillers for sale if this help any I also have the original engine from the tiller the only differance is the throttle needed to be put on the left side of the engine.

o

borrus51164 and gregh61 you both need to join yahoo troy bilt club there guy there thats dealer for troy built name Bill Rogers one call he take all questions and take parts order. Number is 1-800-609-5110 ask for bill. Then join group troybilttillerclub at yahoo dot com make this into right link with out spaces. I have 2 horse ones 1973 and other 1977 made in march so one first 2 speeds. There yahoo site information how to repair all problems on troy serial number list under files photo's of other members tiller after restoring you load files your tiller for parts numbers.

o

• Posted by
    Trexie1
    (bjk@wk.net) on
    Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 21:51

I traded for a Troy Bilt tiller. The only number I can find is on the top of the gear box...164856. I think it may need a shaft, pulley and belts...maybe a worm drive gear. Can anyone tell me what kind of machine this is and where I can find parts and a manual? It was free so I don't mind putting a little money in it to get it running. Right now it won't till when the tines are on the ground. Thanks

o

That phone number above in my post give all info you need its good number if used eastern time work time saturday you may get Bill on phone in morning.

o

Like gator says, join the club, its free and painless, will answer all these "what year is my tiller questions". Also you'll get help with real problems. REJ2

o

Just got back from the local parts store and gees o' pete, I can buy a new one for what they want for parts. $200.00 for a shaft, $200.00 for a pulley, $45.00 for something else. I joined the yahoo group but haven't got any responses yet. Does anyone know of a Troy Bilt boneyard where you can get used but not abused parts?

o
replacement tines for VersaTiller

Need to find replacement times for TroyBilt VersaTiller.
This tiller is a much smaller unit than the used Horse tiller I just bought but I use it for cleanup and light
work.

o

You go to MTD site type in info for Troy Bilt Versa Tiller down load parts list. Are go to lowes store to computer at garden department they look up parts for you and order tines sometimes this take right sales person ones on day time shift best. You need serial number along with you.

o

I have an TB tiller with only a 5 digit ser number 40637 can someone help me with what model it is so i can order parts

o

Model number is 1. Your serial number mean's 4-1-72 year make

o

hello all,
i was hoping sombody could help me identify a older troy bilt tiller i cant seem to find a modle number on it but here are some of the numbers and a description of what i did find...below the oil fill for trans plug looks like either 6 or 8 30 71 on other side of trans cae on top corner there is a th 10 with the letter h under it..the engine on this unit is what i need to replace its a tecumseh hh60 10579e ..it looks like it has 2 belts on a 2/3 stack pulley and unit has 2 levers first one reverse neutral (tines) foward and the second lever high speed neutral (wheels) low speed...any help would be apprieciated thanks

o

Model number 1 what used for years years /3 pulley means your most likely built in 1970's early part when went to 4 speed was different pulley. Look above right hand tire on transmission case top on that side see number under paint rust flat machined off place machining part of top cover mounting surface.

o
Is my Tiller worth fixing

I have inherited a Troy-Bilt Tiller Pony MOdel # P88206 Engine Model # 130292 Type 1139-01. It is a 1981 Model yr. It has been sitting in storage about 12 yrs. When i went to open the gas tank lik it just twisted off and there was some milky looking substance in the tank . i guess old gas. A new gas tank cost $90.00 and plugs , new oil etc $30.00. Then i don't know if it would even start. Does anyone think it would be worth trying to get it fixed? please advise. thank you. George

o

Go to Harbor Freight look at Greyhound engine it be 6.5 horse take the measuring with you mount pattern shaft from old engine if same good last price I saw was 129.00. This give new tank engine carb plug starter it'll take care all engine problem if fit I no it fit Horse model. don't weary about over power is not problem on pony.

o

My very old TB tiller is giving up the ghost. It's a horse Model 42402 probably from the early 70's. I've replaced the tines, wheel packings, belts and reverse disk. Now it's time for the engine.

The #'s that I find on the engine are KH60-1050790, SN: 0160-16009.

There's a TH-7079 on the front of the tiller.

The engine will not stay running. It races like it's going to blow up. Over the years it's been in the shop for adjusting and now I have decided that I have had enough of it and I'm replacing the engine.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the correct replacement for this old engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Urda

o

THe Greyhound engine 6.5 perfect fit read my post just above yours. only need metric tread bolts to mount engine same length as old bolts. Center bolt that holds pullet on 5/16 find thread same length as old bolt. If get Greyhound Engine manual give all tread sizes its in box. The reason I use this engine is torque high and price at time for new engine was 120.00 but print out coupon from Harbor Freight web site for 20.00 saving so engine used on farm there no sale tax at store.

o

Gator rider2, Thanks for the tip. I did see your suggestion above, but was a bit leary about the Harbor Freight quality. After doing some furthere research, it appears that that engine is a good choice at an excellent price. We have a Harbor Freight in Syracuse and I will be heading up there to check them out.

I do have to pull the old engine first and I not looking forward to that. Hope that all goes well and that I am back in business in a day or two.

Thanks again for your information.

Joe

o

I just checked HF site 99.99 with coupon you down load off site take to store. I used 66015 part number of engine but others use 66014 its calif. model gas fumes from tank hosed to air cleaner only difference that no about. Its Honda knockoff so get your parts at dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Engine 66015

o

I have an older horse.. I have not gotten around to cleaning all the grease and dirt off of it. But so far I have found th-1001 stamped on it.. The pulleys on this thing are super sloppy and the tines will turn until you let it down to the dirt, then they stop.. I have feeling the the bearings/ shaft are shot.. Any input would be great

o

I have an older horse.. I have not gotten around to cleaning all the grease and dirt off of it. But so far I have found th-1001 stamped on it.. The pulleys on this thing are super sloppy and the tines will turn until you let it down to the dirt, then they stop.. I have feeling the the bearings/ shaft are shot.. Any input would be great

o

Ok I found the serial # 137061.. From what I can gather, this is a 1975 Horse I.. The lower set of belt pulleys are very very sloppy.. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.. If so, was it the bearing on the pulley that were bad... I am a woman and I am a bit mech. inclined. But I dont have the proper tools to do what needs to be done. So I am taking this to the neighbor and he is going to try to help me get this thing tilling... Just looking for some insight on what problem we might be looking for ahead of time.. TIA

o

Number is 1-800-609-5110 ask for bill he in Va. I think Bill owner of yahoo group he help with parts and problem the bottom pulley does move in and out to lineup with top pulley. Be good if take pins out holds engine on there 2 set screw one each pin then get at pulley see what going on pulley slides on splines on main shaft. Spray everthing moves with Pb Blaster but not belts mind have spray linkage 3 or more time year. If have 1975 year model there be 2 belts on pulleys. Bill send right belts parts need.

o

Thanks for all the help. I was informed that the model is actually a HH60. The recommendation to go with the Harbor Freight 6.5 HP engine was right on. Fit perfectly. Had to get metric mounting screws and then another trip to get the metric bolt that goes into the drive shaft to hold the pulleys. Advised to drive out the two large pins that hold the mounted engine to the tiller was easy and the swap out was pretty easy.
Once everything was together, I put oil and gas in the engine and two pull it was running great. Just finished tilling an area of about 50 x 50 and the old tiller worked like a charm.
Again, thanks for all the advice..
Joe

o

Joe that great and thank you for posting back it help other members that read these post.

o

i aquired an older try bilt/garden way tiller. the ser # is 160688. it has a clinton engine model 10D-98-0301-330 ser #10D-98-0301-330. I cant find a model # on the tiller....it starts and runs but when I put the tines in gear and try to till with it it dies out. Any thought? The carb it new, new plug, fresh gas....I'm at a loss.

o
Troy Horse 1 engine pulley

I recently rebuilt a Troybilt Horse I tiller with a S/N#192326 and need an engine pulley. Every place I call they say it is not available anymore. The part number in my manual for the pulley is 1007-1. The pulley is a 2 belt pulley with a fiber reverse disk and fits on the 6 hp tecumseh 3/4' shaft. Any one know where I can get one? Any old troybuilt bone yards out there? Thanks

o

There up grade to reverse using rubber wheel Bill Rogers may have one 1-800-609-5110 sense mid 70's this been new reverse parts. Bill Rogers have best answer out there he owns yahootroybiltgroup Dot com you should join that group there where you find help.

o

Howdy folks. I have a TB tiller with some worn out tines and need to figure out which model it is. The Stamp on the front of the gear box says "Gardenway TH-1002." the only other number i can find is on the bottom of the handles "1019" (the "9" could be an 8).

Any ideas? Or where i need to scrub off grime to find more numbers?

Cheers.

o

I bought an old troy built tiller and it says it is a econo horse and I cant find any info on it

thanks chuck

o

chuck you should by filling in some info find your manual just by knowing your engine hp. This big site for manuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: manuals on line

o

Hi I just bought a Troy Bilt Horse and I cant find any serial number on it is says gardenway T1019 on it and there is a spot where is says serial number but I dont see one there any Idea . there is a date stamp of 1978, thanks

o

Transmission housing above right tire there flat place the serial under full paint grease and dirt wire brush that flat on transmission housing you begin to see number.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here