Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mantis Tiller starts but dies....will not idle

Posted by bjhankins (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 10:00

Need some help. I have a Mantis tiller about 5 years old that has had regular use. It was hard to start last year and wouldn't start this year.

I've replaced:
Spark Plug
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Fuel lines

I tore the carburator down, soaked it in carb cleaner and blew out all of the passage ways with compressed air. I replaced all of the gaskets and diaphrams on it as well.

It cranks fine, but will only run for a few seconds and die. I can crank it while at full throttle and it will keep running until I release the throttle....then it dies. I've adjusted the idle screw as much as I can and it still won't idle.

What next?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mantis Tiller starts but dies....will not idle

Have you take out the muffler to clean the muffler? Does it has a spark arrestor screen, that need to be cleaned. Do that first and see what happen.

DO that and post back.

o
RE: Mantis Tiller starts but dies....will not idle

Did you buy a rebuild kit? What model (newer one with primer bulb or older one without?) If it got a primer bulb will it pull gas up and through the carb.? Just cleaning didn't do anything for a bad diaphramn, needle and seat, or clogged orifices. It's not flowing gas through the carb. Plus once you tear a carb. apart somtimes air gets trapped in the carb. and it takes awhile for the gas to siphon up through the carb especially if you don't have a primer bulb.

IMO If you used a new rebuild kit and installed it correctly the idle circiut is still probably plugged. To get to it properly you have to remove the welch plug to clean the passages out should be three orifice holes Idle, mid, and high flow.

When a carb. sets with gas in it for a while (over winter sometimes) the gas evaporates leaving a scum residue once this happens it gets hard and usually just soaking it will not dislodge the fine metered holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here