Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayhem69_gw

how to adjust the L and H on a 2150 Poulan chainsaw?

mayhem69
15 years ago

Hi, my 2150 Poulan chainsaw will start up but not run more than 1 minute. Then when i try to start it back up it is either flooded or isn't getting enough gas? I don't know.

I bought a new plug, cleaned the arrestor, soaked the carb. in cleaner overnight, and was fiddling with the L and H. I did not blow the carb with air because i do not have a compressor. It will run from 30 seconds to sometimes a minute , then it will shut off. I do not know how to adjust the L and H screws, could someone tell me how?

Comments (12)

• rcmoser
    15 years ago

Flooding should be evidence of wet gas in the comb chamber (on the spark plug tip when you remove it or actually dripping out the muffler) If it's dry then your not getting gas up to or through the carb.

Start off in the tank by removing the fuel filter (clean it or replace it) stick the carb. cleaner nozzle in the hose that the fuel filter was pull it off at the carb. and spary carb cleaner through the hose. does it come out the other end? if so you may need to look for cracks in the line, a crack will not alow the fuel to pull up to the carb.

Once you know your getting gas to the carb. clean you carb
    Using carb cleaner (in the can under pressure) fluid as air pressure. It will usually blow out the passages and clean/disolve any gum you may have missed. Use the red or black plastic nozzle, but wear rubber gloves and safety goggles or shield cause the fluid under pressure will squirt out about any direction. Once you get it cleaned out by spraying each passage and watching it come out the other end you can reassemble the carb. If I remember set the low and high at 1 1/4 turn to 1 1/2 to start out.

It should run and idle. once it warms up you may have to fine turn the high usually CCW 1/8 turn more. If you turn it over 1/2 turn you may have to go back and adjust the low. If that still don't work then you either have a vacuum leak (seals in the carb., carb mount screws loose or carb. base seal leaking, cracked fuel hose from the tank to the carb. or plugged up fuel filter that will not let enough gas being sucked up to the carb. when the diaphram fuel pump draws it.

• HU-996680441
    5 years ago

Many new chainsaws come with an improper gas-tube length which prevents the pickup to always drop to the bottom of the tank. Test it out with an empty tank. turn the saw in all directions and watch the pickup of the hose fall to the bottom. If it gets stuck at the side of the tank, you have to pull the hose out a little bit with a needlenoseplier. Then cut off as much as is required to let the hose fall to the bottom in all positions of the saw. Now the saw will run until the gas-tank is really empty . Peter Thoss Sept. 21/18

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Peter , most quality saws have in tank fuel filter installed on the end of the fuel pick up line which is weighted ensuring no fuel starvation no matter what position the saw is in , even the Cheap Poulan . Not sure what saws your referring too . Also this thread is over 9 yrs old and entitled proper jet set points which is 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out from seated position for both high as low jets normally .

• Jim Swetmon
    5 years ago

What does CW and CCW stand for?

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Clock wise and Counter Clock wise !

• HU-484393373
    3 years ago

Most newer Poulan saws require a special splined adjustment tool. Save yourself the headache of trying to do it without one and just search "poulan carb adjustment tool" for your model and spend the $9 right now. 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out worked as a good starting point for me.

• Dale Tamborella
    3 years ago

My poulan 2150 will start and run as long as I have the throttle pressed but will not stay running. Need factory settings for carburetor

• markthirteen
    3 years ago

wait for the answer

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out from seated for jet adjustment is the norm . If required a little less , each saw operated within different elevations and temps , so barometric pressure will have an effect !

• Terry Tumulty
    2 years ago

I found a peice of 1/4" plastic tubing like for fridge ice maker will fit the set screws in a

• Justin Fowlkes
    3 months ago

A cap from a u-100 insulin syringe works just