Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubbermaid Cart Replacement Wheel

Posted by teriss newly 6, NE (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 11:56

My husband hauled a heavy load in my beloved Rubbermaid cart and snapped off one of my wheels. Has anyone ever replaced a wheel on their cart? I have no idea where to get one.
I can't say enough good things about my Rubbermaid cart! I've had it for years and years and use it constantly in the garden. Probably my most used garden tool! (It's one of the big ones)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubbermaid Cart Replacement Wheel

Try someplace like Graingers. I am not sure about the wheels on the Rubbermaid but my guess is they are plastic. I have not seen plastic wheels for sale, only steel.

o

Would these wheels work? They are on Ebay. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wheels on Ebay

o

I think you can find what you need at McMaster-Carr's website. On their homepage, look under Material Handling and click on wheels. That will take you to page 1286 and you can go from there.

This link was posted here several weeks ago and I want to thank the OP for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: McMaster Carr homepage

o

Try this site. According to Rubbermaid they make the carts.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/support/contact.jhtml?cat=Garden Carts

o

Here is my solution:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021BWK5Y/ref=oss_product

Free shipping. The bore on this wheel is 3/4" and the shaft is 5/8" so you will need a flanged sleeve (2 per wheel) available from smallparts.com:

http://www.smallparts.com/Oilite-Sintered-Flanged-Bearing-FF711-01B/dp/B000FMW5KQ?ie=UTF8&qid=1268514794&sr=1-5&pf_rd_r=0NZQW3BD8TRA7WK2CF1B&pf_rd_m=A2LPUKX2E7NPQV&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_p=493388211&pf_rd_s=center-3

The tire is solid which is a plus but you should know that if you replace only one wheel, the original wheel is slightly larger so the cart will list to one side. I don't find it a problem.

o

You need the medieval package. Put the wheel together as best as you can I used a piece of 1/2" plywood scrap that I sheet rock screwed into the side wall. I used a hole saw to cut out around the hub. I drilled and used #10-32 nuts and bolts to attach to them. The 1st one took some time, but the 2nd was easier.

o

"You need the medieval package." AWESOME! My sister has one of these w a broken wheel . The "OEM" Rubbermaid ones were hecka expensive. I had mentioned that Lowes had some that may work for ~ $20- but don't know what happened. Andy, you should post a pic of the medieval version and I'll forward that along...

o

Sorry, no pics. The repair piece was a piece of 1/2" plywood as big as possible to span the outside diameter of the wheel. Clamp it into place and trace out the cuts with a pencil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here