Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esemilio

Help with vintage mustang tiller

esemilio
15 years ago

I am looking for information/parts diagrams for this tiller. I believe it is a Bolens' Mustang early sixties. According to the engine label (B&S) the engine was manufactured in 1962. The clutch is always engaged. I I had some diagrams it would make it easier for me to ake apart!

I have been trying to figure out (with no success) how to add a picture. When I figure it out I will post a picture. Any help with either subject is greatly appreciated!

Comments (9)

• wallfish
    15 years ago

pictures--- If you open a free account at photobucket.com you can upload your pictures there. After you have your pics in photobucket you will notice a drop down window when you move you cursor on to the pic. For this site, move your cursor down to the "html code" line and click on it, Very quickly you will see a small pop up that says "copied". In your post here you just right click and paste the html line that you copied from photobucket. Some other forums use the IMG code line. When you come back to post you can preview your message and you should see the photo. You can change the size of your pics by choosing the size under the upload button before you upload the pics in photobucket

• esemilio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wallfish -- Thanks!
    This is the picture of the mustang tiller I am seeeking information on:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• esemilio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I Finally got the picture!

{{gwi:299872}}

• canguy
    15 years ago

Parts and diagrams for that piece disappeared many moons ago. It is a very simple machine. Unbolt the engine and lift it off.
    It likely has a cone clutch. A strip of brake lining in the cup engages a matching steel cone on the engine shaft. The linkage possibly is seized/worn out or maybe a previous owner defeated the system because he could not find parts.

• esemilio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks canguy. I am waiting for the weather to warm up here in Wisconsin before I pull it apart. I came across it at a yard sale and just could not pass it up! I "love" the looks of it! It has charachter!

• zaciiz
    13 years ago

Someone just gave me an identical tiller with the opposite clutch problem- mine doesn't engage. I pulled it apart (only 3 bolts hold the engine on) and the cone clutch material was burnt completely off. Out of sheer boredom, I wound a few wraps of duct tape around the male end of the clutch and bolted it back up. Believe it or not it actually dug hard for about 10 minutes before it burnt off- haha. I'm gonna try contact cement or something as parts seem non-existent (online at least).

• ehatch001_hvc_rr_com
    12 years ago

Hi I've been searching the internet high and low for the operators manual to the Bolens Super Mustang Tiller model 2101-01. I don't care if it is a COPY of the original. If anyone here has a copy and can mail me one let me know how much. I can pay via paypal or send cash through the mail. Please email me at ehatch001@hvc.rr.com Thanks in advance.

Eric

• jenntek
    9 years ago

I don't know if this will help at all, and I'm sure I'm bringing up an old thread, however, if you were to take drum brake padding (cut from rolls) and used *Might* solve the clutch lining problems... Clutch and brakes are made of the same material "back then"... I needed a clutch lining or my old Montgomery Wards Front Tine Rototiller, and I chose this option as to a $60 obsolete part from online - brake liner padding is approx $4~$24 per foot - depending on where you search. I hope this helps people in the future looking for a replacement clutch liner. My tiller starts with one easy pull. An eight year old can start it... She runs smooth as ever and purrs like a kitten. Vintage Monkey Wards Tiller...

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

Please post detail pics of the clutch. ItâÂÂs possible we can spot it on other tillers or Etc..

Another option to adding pictures:

1. Use the âÂÂImage file to upload (optional):â show by selecting the browse option just below the option.
    2. It should take you to MY Computer files showing Pics you have saved and where, sel the file to load that pic.
    3. Brief but try it to get a feel and preview to see if its working or what did I miss??
    4. Photobucket is good to send multiple pics in one post but a challenge if not used often IMO.