Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gilson Tiller

Posted by zenwil 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 14:58

Hi, I recently came across a good deal on an Old Gilson tiller. I can't find a model name or number on it. There is a stamped serial number plate but no model number. The engine is a Craftsman 3HP, but may not be original. If anyone can help me identify it, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks for any info you may have.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gilson Tiller

Gilson made tillers for a number of retailers - Montgomery Wards, Sears, Western Auto, and probably others. I have an owners manual for the Wards 1580-F Gilson tiller, which was equipped with a 5-hp engine. The tiller portion shown in your pictures looks similar, but the handle bars are a different design. If you had signed up to let GardenWeb forward e-mail messages to you, I could have sent you an electronic version of the MW owners manual - but ....

o

Hi Javert,

Thanks for the info. I had found out about MW but not Sears or WA.

I have changed my settings to allow e-mails. Just signed up yesterday and still learning. So if you check back on this thread and are still willing to send the owners manual, I would appreciate it.

o

I believe you have a Gilson 1572A. Correct engine is Briggs 100000 series 4hp. Never came with Craftsman/Tecumseh even when built for Sears. You also need two-groove pulley to operate reverse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here