Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikehende

Is 'Jet A' fuel safe for Convection kerosene heater?

mikehende
13 years ago

Since both Jet A and K1 fuels are "cleaner" kerosene, can I use the Jet A fuel instead in my garage? I found this article on the net but wanted to know if anyone actually uses it?

COMMENT FROM A READER ON "JET A" FUEL

Very few people know that common jet fuel is nothing but more highly refined (read: cleaner) kerosene. It works wonderfully in kerosene heaters, stoves, lamps, and lanterns. I'm an old retired aircraft mechanic and I've handled thousands of gallons of jet fuel. At airports large enough to service jets, you will find that jet fuel is very commonly available. Since the large fuel tanks and fuel trucks at an airport are "sumped" almost daily to remove moisture that can collect at the bottom of a tank, the few gallons drained off frequently is considered waste or close to it. Ask the right people and you might be able to get a few gallons for free. Just check it for a layer of water at the bottom in case it's present. NOTE: Jet A is not the same as JP-4. Do not use JP-4 in a kerosene heater.

Woody

Ed: In northern climes, anti-icing additives are often added at the pump nozzle instead of being pre-mixed with the fuel: Don't get the additives when obtaining Jet A for kerosene heater use. Aviation Fuel - Jet Fuel Information

Comments (2)