Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using a 'root hook' to plant B&B trees?

Posted by Moose_Factory 04 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 15:40

Hello, for the past four years I have been gardening and planting balled and burlapped trees at my job, we used 30-36" steel hooks to easily grasp the wire baskets on the tree root balls. These hooks easily allowed us to manipulate heavy root balls, and slide them into the planting holes.

I've since changed jobs, and no longer have access to those old handy "root hooks" we used (I don't know the proper name for the tool), and I would like to buy some.

However, after scouring the web, I can't find this tool, that is so simple and I thought would be ubiquitous in the nursery / gardening trade... The closest I could come was a "hay hook," but these are generally much shorter than I'd like, and have their handles perpendicular to the hook instead of in-plane with it.

Basically, I'm looking for a hook much longer than a hay hook (30-40"), and with a handle in plane with the hook, maybe something that looks like this:

/___________D (very roughly, of course)

Has anyone seen these, what are they called, and where can I buy them? Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using a 'root hook' to plant B&B trees?

I've never seen what you are talking about. But seems to me you could make them out of Rebar or round steel rod. Have you tried searching for a Gaff?

o
RE: Using a 'root hook' to plant B&B trees?

Tripplebrook farm has large grappling hooks for roots:

http://www.tripplebrookfarm.com/newweb/general/tds_main.shtml

Hope that might help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here