Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it easy to over work a 2001 Troy Bilt Pony's gears?

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 15:59

A friend borrowed a friend’s 2001 Troy Bilt Pony tiller and I feel it was worked harder than usual. Such as: tilling 12” deep on one pass vs 2” per pass as the owner suggested. The 12” effort actually broke one of the thin handles welded to the ¼” joining support close to the gear box. The owner’s complaint is that it is not shifting gears with ease as before the “One Day’s Loan And Use”. This is why “If I Loan Certain Equipment I Am There Also”.

1. Is it easy to over work a 2001 Troy Bilt Pony's gears, box. etc and cause changing gear problems?

2. Can a plate be removed to inspect the gears or will draining gear oil usually indicate excessive wear?

3. I feel I'll be called to help solve the matter and would like tips as what to look for mechanically, etc.

The borrowing friend purchased a 2012 comparable Ariens tiller to eliminate a future need since that sale ended. The borrowing friend has good mechanical skills, feels it’s a cable matter but is well known for misusing equipment. The loaning friend has no mechanical skills or relations but had maintained the tiller like new with yearly use. He explained that if he wanted his garden tilled 12” deep, he hired an operator with a tractor before he tilled (vs 2” passes he suggested).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it easy to over work a 2001 Troy Bilt Pony's gears?

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 16:18

One time a neighbor wanted to borrow my belt sander, so she could get many layers of paint off a table she was restoring. I told her that I would not loan it to her, but I was happy to give it to her, so long as I did not ever get it back. She started asking questions, so I explained that the table top would not likely be flat when she was done, it would be wavy. And I explained that sanding paint would raise clouds of dust, and since the table was an old one, the dust would likely contain lead, and be toxic, as well. She turned down my offer, and I still have that old belt sander. Darn. I think the guy with the damaged tiller should simply give it to the guy who borrowed it, and then buy a new tiller.

o

I’ll hope it’s a simple cable matter since we had to rem the cable to weld. The initial problem was the 6’- 4” loaned noticed the handles were not positioned as they were. The Bottom Line is my 45 yr Mechanical Friend Is Too Busy! to take his time even with all his equipment. The 45 yr Non Mechanical Friend will not look for or know a simple needed adjustment or etc.. In my case, we have enjoyed knowing/helping each other in many Fun Matters and Etc and hope this will not be a true issue. Unless we find something solid as damaged or needed adjustments, I feel our good visits, fishing and projects might be in the past.

I guess we are off to the Garden soon to see the complaint and hopefully a good solution (when my arm is twisted by both vs talk). More Zip-Ties vs one, a restricted twisted cable, un-painted weld is all I can visualize (that were to be taken care of after the weld), if there is no mechanical damage.

Satisfying Friends “Free” Can Be A Challenge!

o

A good rule to follow: Neither a borrower, nor a lender be!
I have found this to be true: Anybody who is too tight to buy their own equipment, or rent it from a place that does that, should never be allowed to borrow anything of mine!
I'll offer to do it for them, but no borrowing, unless a hefty deposit is made!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here