Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug_thumper

Mongomary Ward tiller

ladybug_thumper
18 years ago

Hello I am new at this but I hope someone can help me out.We have a Montgomery Ward Tiller, By briggs and stratton And we do not know what year it is. The Model number is GIL 1575A and the Serial # is 26X74488 We would like to found parts and Manuel for this tiller.We have cleaned the carbon off of it and little things like that. We finially got it running but it will not stay running unless we have the choke on and the filter off. Does any one have any suggestions, or may be able to help we would really be happy to hear from you before planting garden time gets around. thank you so much hope to hear from you..

Comments (32)

• snip0721
    18 years ago

ladybug, sounds like the main jet(in the carburator) is dirty, or partually plugged (not enough fuel....lean). jet has a very small hole in the center of it. clean the hole with a fine wire or compressed air. you might take the b&s model# and serial#, and look for a exploded view of the carb to help you out. most models are in the bottom of the float bowl. some have access from the side. hope this helps.

• javert
    18 years ago

Ladybug, your Montgomery Wards tiller was manufactured by Gilson, which is now defunct. Do a Google search on Gilson tiller and you'll come up with access to quite a bit of information. I did it just as a test, and saw quite a few sites offering parts, manuals, etc. Good luck.

• psmsmallengines
    18 years ago

There is a site on the web ran by a guy out of Wells Maine, He is a gilson collector and has been a help to me a few times. Any search engine will have the site. Best of luck, Patrick

• Greg Goyeneche
    18 years ago

Can't do anything with the Wards numbers. However with Briggs numbers should be able to explain carb cleaning steps.

If 130000 is B&S 5hp and if 170000 is B&S 7hp or 8hp.

Will need full Model and Type number.

• flyguy
    17 years ago

I KNOW THIS IS A LITTLE BELATED BUT MIGHT OFFER SOME HELP. I ALSO HAVE WARDS TILLER THAT IS DRIVING ME NUTS. MODEL GIL-1503 WITH B$S 5 HP MOTOR. I BOUGHT NEW IN 1973. LAST 2 YEARS DIDN'T WANT TO RUN RIGHT. WANTED TO SPUTTER OUT WHEN PUT UNDER LOAD. CARB WAS REBUILT WITH REPLACMENT PARTS FROM LOCAL MOWER SHOP. WILL NEED B$S MODEL NBRS. IT IS A VERY EASY CARB TO REBUILD. ANYWAY, IT STILL SPUTTERS. I FIGURED COULD BE BAD VALVES OR POINTS. IT STILL HAD ORIGINAL POINTS (33 YEARS OLD). YOU WILL NEED TO PULL THE FLYWHEEL TO GET TO THEM. I REPLACED THEM AT A COST 0F $7.00 AND BINGO!! THE THING STARTS AND RUNS EXCELLENT. NOW I HAVE SHEARED THE WORM DRIVE GEAR AND CAN'T FIND PARTS. MAYBE INFO ON THIS SIGHT WILL HELP

• fisher40037
    17 years ago

Gilson was absorbed by Lawnboy, so your local Lawnboy
    dealer should be able to get parts if they still are
    available, you might have to call Lawnboy for the part numbers.
    It has been a few years, but it has worked for me.

As far as the engine, it likely has a horizontal
    Briggs, which probably has the diaphragm style
    carb on top of a metal gas tank.

Fish

• flyguy
    17 years ago

THANKS FISH BOUGHT SOME PARTS ABOUT 10 YREARS AGO, BUT COULDN'T REMEMBER WHERE THEY CAME FROM
    DALE

• gardenman_grow
    17 years ago

i now have a Mont Ward TMO 39103A Tiller without a manual. It was given to me from relative. Had been in storage. Engine would not turn over. I removed the flywheel, clean and also cleaned the pull cord spring. Found the line from gas tank totally stopped up and the carburetor in big need of cleaning, Cleaned a lot everywhere, new carb kit, air cleaner other adjustments and it starts and runs great. Need a manual to read on the gear drive mechanism to see what service is needed. Let me know if have a manual. I could email a picture of it if needed.

• ralphgumby
    17 years ago

I have pdf copies of three manuals for (older) Gilson tillers that were sent to me earlier this year (I apologize for not remembering who sent them, they were very helpful).
    They are for three different models, but I don't recall the specifics of each one. Two are for front tine models, one is for a rear tine model.
    If anyone needs a copy, let me know and I can forward them.
    Each file is about 500K in size.
    Ralph

• gardenman_grow
    17 years ago

Ralph, Would appreciate a copy of the manuals emailed to me specifically the rear tine. grenfroe@charter.net Thanks in advance.

• njarallen_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

I have a Montgomery Wards GIL 39012C (SN#0098C1) that was given to me without any manuals. The tiller has a 5HP B&S motor that runs great, however I cannot get the drive belt to work correctly. Does anyone have or know where I can get a Owners Manual for this? I have tried local dealers with very little cooperation from them.

Thanks for any help.

• slag
    17 years ago

I have a monkey ward tiller also. Engine runs great, but i think the lower end crapped the bed last night. IT makes a grinding sound and sometimes engages. I'm a pretty handy fellow, but the lower unit looks rivitted together. Are they rebuildable at all?

• brandonbolles
    17 years ago

I was recently given a Montgomery Ward GIL 1594A. It has a B&S 144202.
    It did not start when I first got it but I was able to successfully tear down the carb and fuel tank to get it going (it sat for 6 years with gas in the tank and the carb had never been cleaned).
    Anyway, it runs and works fine now but I would like to get a copy of the manual is someone has it. Adobe PDF format would be great.
    Thank you for your time.
    -Brandon

• wleseberg
    16 years ago

I am looking for a Manual for a front tine Gilson tiller Model #51148. A PDF download would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Bill Leseberg

• pfinfrock
    16 years ago

We have a Montgomery wards 5hp tiller. model GIE 39032 A SS 0344Co1 422 I would like to find a copy of a manual,or have the Belt sizes or numbers.

• gemret_jk
    16 years ago

This is in response to ralphgumby's post dated Sat, Jan 13, 07 at 10:13 concerning (older) Gilson tillers and his offer to forward copies of the pdf manuals. Ralph, I would appreciate it if you would forward me copies of the two front tined tillers.

• tomewin
    16 years ago

Hi Ralphgumby
    I just sent you an email requesting a copy of manuals for front tine tillers - please reply with pdf files. Thanking you very much for your kind offer.

Bill

• ralphgumby
    16 years ago

I can't figure out what the last two poster's email addresses are. I didn't receive an email from the last poster (tomewin). Post your email address in your request.
    Regards,
    Ralph

• tomewin
    16 years ago

Ralphgumby

My apologies. Please email to bilmo747@hotmail.com

Thanks again

Tomewin

• andrewjdobson
    16 years ago

I just took-apart the transmission (worm-gear assy) on my OLD Gilson Front tine tiller. The Brass GEAR is Wiped-Out. I would appreciate ANY help finding a manual / parts list for this tiller. I can't find a Model # on it, but it's a Gilson Front Tine Tiller w/B&S 5hp motor. PDF Manuals of ANY Gilson Front Tine Tiller would be Great !!! Thanx, Andrew@Dobson.com

• theskyisoutthere
    16 years ago

I have a 1508e? or was it 1580e anyway i have 2 of the same ones. trying to get them together i have transmission issues i need oil seals for the incomming shaft and seals for the tine shafts. Please help me I can probaly make 1 out of both of them but i need to go ahead and replace them all. I might be intrested in selling one of the transmissions. I have a bunch of motor parts from that era of briggs and stratton. my email is theskyisoutthere@netscape.net please email me any info on part numbers or where i might find them.

• gemret
    16 years ago

Hello Ralphgumby
    I just sent you an email requesting copies of manuals for two (older) Gilson front tined tillers - please e-mail pdf files. Thank you very much for your kind offer. My e-mail address is gemret@juno.com

• leggyldy01
    16 years ago

I too would like the pdf files, my email address is gwens@jjflanagan.com

Thanks

• rcmoser
    16 years ago

Not uncommon for the old horz. B & S tiller engine carb. stand pipe to get rusted or plugged at the end where the last chance filter is. I would recommend a thorough cleaning of the tank and carb. Have done this for years on my 34 year old 3 1/2 horse tiller engine. Finely had to change the points last year due to it would not fire when I drug it out to use it. I must have cleaned the carb. and gas tank 20 times I have yet to buy a gasket for it. Mine pretty simple got a belt from the engine to a chain driven tine.

• tazewell_dave
    16 years ago

I was given a Montgomery Ward GIL-1570B front tine tiller, last used about 1980, according to previous owner. He thinks he bought it around 1965. I have it running fairly well, with some temporary/permemnant, not quite right but good enough for now, cannibalization of parts machines my wife hates, fixes. If anyone has an owners or service manual for this tiller I would greatly appreciate a copy. Have checked with Toro and Gilson enthusiast sites with no luck. Thanks.

• lescat
    13 years ago

Could you send me manual for front tine my e-mail address is CatTaylor13@comcast.net I have an old GIL 1530A. Bless you Cat

• hangerbum
    12 years ago

Does someone know the model # of the 5hp B & S engine that is on a Gil 1580e tiller.
    Thanks, Larry

larrymgb@sbcglobal.net

• Greg Goyeneche
    12 years ago

My manual for Gilson 1580F shows 130202-0135-07. Slightly later but should be same for 1580E.

Many different Briggs 130000 series engines will work, as long as they are 3/4" shaft to mate with the pulley, and have the large threaded boss on the crankcase cover to mount the idler arm.

• griefold2003_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Looking for a cover for the pulley mine needs to be replaced the model number 130292. I just need the cover plate assembly.

• stephen-sonia_knology_net
    12 years ago

Hello Ralphgumby
    I just sent you an email requesting copies of manuals for two (older) Gilson front tined tillers - please e-mail pdf files. Thank you very much for your kind offer. My e-mail address is stephen-sonia@knology.net

• WestSlope_Charlie
    10 years ago

Was given an old wards rototiller, model number GIL 39012C -- need to know the type (model) of the B&S 5 HP engine that went in it - all I can read is on the Ward's belt housing and it says B&S 204cc 5 HP painted on, plate on engine (if there is one) itself is completely unfindable - at least when I take the sheet metal housings off. no clue as to year etc, only that it needs an air-cleaner before I do ANY kind of work with her (gave my even older home build by Grandpa and a Mccullough chain saw engine to a far younger friend) -- thanks - gotta get summer green manure dug in, and winter green ' nuer planted -- rain took 18 inches of top soil leaving me only red clay - great if you love carrots 3 inches long, and beets 2 inch in D.!!!

• Greg Goyeneche
    10 years ago

According to my manual for Gilson 39012B, your engine is a Briggs 130292-0803-01. You can look at the Briggs website for an Illustrated Parts List. If the number doesn't work, try 130292-0803-99. Briggs often uses -99 as a catch-all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs Manual Website