Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl MS 261 or MS 362

Posted by danobatt Iowa (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 16:39

I have a MS 170 and a MS 660 Magnum and I'm looking for an intermediate saw in a professional grade. I'm stuck on Stihl with my local dealers. Is there a distinctive difference between the 261 and 362 when it comes to reliability? I'm not necessarily looking for a felling saw. It would be primarily used for hardwood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl MS 261 or MS 362

Both Pro Grade I have a MS 260 a few yrs old and a MS 361 just over a yrs old . The 361 or 362 are much better on larger hardwood felling and bucking applications . The 260 and current 261 are very capable also for a 50 cc class saw , I would venture to say probably world class . If you are only cutting 12" to 20 " Maple / Birch then the 261 is more than enough . If you are routinely cutting larger then the 60 cc saw is a must . You can't go wrong with either Model they are excellent choices . If I were to make a final note of advice it would be for a 261 over the 260 and just opposite for the 361 over the newer 362 Model , based on better performance . I have ran all the saws to determine this comparitive performance trend . Good Luck Bro !

o

I'd go with the 261 based on it being lighter and not that far behind a 361-362 in cutting speed. You have a 660 for the big stuff. Steve

o

I just bought a MS 261. I picked them both up and it was a "no brainer", the weight of the MS 261 was the tipping point for me. Thanks guys.

o

Dan: I 'm glad you picked the MS-261 it has to be pound for pound the Best Saw on the Market today . My Son's buddies father purchased one last mth and you are right it is hands down a better unit than my 260 and that's an accomplishment . Ensure to use premium syn oil and you will have yrs of faithful service . The weight was not what floored me rather the additional torgue this saw provides over my yr old 260 . Oh well perhaps I will have to upgrade in a few yrs lol .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here