Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with sidehill tilling

Posted by dmullen Southern CA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 16:43

My old Craftsman tiller with a Briggs engine will only till on level ground or when tilling up and downhill.

When tilling sideways in the garden, the engine starves and dies. It will restart after a wait but will then starve for gas again. It runs perfectly when tilling up and down the slight grade.

The garden is on a gentle downslope (drops about 2 ft in 30 feet)and it used to till in any direction.

I have removed and cleaned the carb but that did not help. Am I missing something when doing this?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with sidehill tilling

there standpipe attached to bottom of the carb. going down into the fuel tank called the pick up tube also has last chance filter metal mesh screen at the bottom, clean it while you in there. It maybe cracked not sucking fuel from the bottom of the tank. you can also check out the diaphram while you have the carb. off the tank. If this is the type I think it all works off vacuum pressure and has diaphram that pulls fuel up to the carb. from the piston movment.You may find somthing.

o
RE: Problem with sidehill tilling

That is the type of carb on this machine and I will take it apart again and also replace that tube.

Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here