Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
captain_jon

Who made Baycrest Snowblowers?

captain_jon
16 years ago

I have a 30 year old snowblower which was originally sold by The Bay (in Canada) - I am trying to find out who made the machine so that I can source some replacement parts.

If it helps it is a Baycrest snowblower; Model # HB826

It has an 8 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Does anyone know who made these back in the late 1970's??

Thanks

Comments (23)

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Using Google, it appears it may have been made by Noma, another defunct company. I can't remember who bought them up. I think it was either AYP or MTD.

• canguy
    16 years ago

You are right, it was Noma, the Christmas tree light people. The OPE division was bought by Murray who were in turn taken over by Briggs and Stratton after filing for bankruptcy.

• captain_jon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info...

I sent an email to Briggs & Stratton asking if they can help with the seach for parts info.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

You can go to the Briggs site and download parts & operator manual for the engine. That's the "easy" part of the battle.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• canguy
    16 years ago

Good luck, Briggs is not supporting Murray product over 7 years old. The good news is that it is a simple machine and other brand parts can often be made to fit.

• captain_jon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link however the B&S site doesn't find the Baycrest model # HB826, so I can't get the parts list there.

I did get a prompt reply to my email from B&S. The 'Murray Support Representative' gave me the part numbers for the auger and traction belt numbers and said that she would send me the parts manual.

I also found a site with a pdf file that cross references old Murray parts and new B&S parts (see below) so hopefully armed with the parts list I can find what I need...

http://www.uni-power.co.uk/pricefiles/pdf/murray_to_briggs_parts_cross_reference_2006.pdf

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

"Thanks for the link however the B&S site doesn't find the Baycrest model # HB826, so I can't get the parts list there."

That's why I said-
    "You can go to the Briggs site and download parts & operator manual for the ENGINE. That's the "easy" part of the battle"!

• jake28
    15 years ago

Hey Captain Jon, I have the same snowblower and need a new bearing for the shaft that drives the auger. It's mounted to the rear of the front casing right in front of the drive pulley. Any chance you could give me the part number? Also, does the bearing and it's housing come as one part or two? Appreciate any help you can give me.

• Phil Minotti
    2 years ago

Can anyone tell me the pulley belt part number and make ? The belt that drives the wheels broke

• graham konrad
    last year

I still have my original Manual at home. Never look at it. I also have a spare belt that's 30 years old. Anyone needing some info on the Baycrest Snowblower can reach out to me. Mine is from 1976 and going strong except for last night when the worm on the chute crank snapped and I lost an inch and a half piece. Now I need to pay a custom metal fabricator to create a new worm for me and weld it onto the original crank handle. grahammk@outlook.com

• Thomas Versteeg
    6 months ago

Graham I am looking for the same machine both drive belts, any help would be appreciated. Tx Thomas

• graham konrad
    6 months ago

The original was Goodyear, InstaPower

Green Seal #84380 the last # on the bottom right in the image is 85=5L 5/8”

Briggs& Straten should be able to provide all replacement parts or through their authorized dealers. the electric starters though #693054 - 110v apparently have not been made for 25 years. in winter I throw a tarp over the snowblower and put a small car heater underneath gor 1/2 hour -45 min. right by the motor and cord winder and thats usually enough to be able to pull the cord to get it going. The auger drive V-Belt is a number 051224, there is also an Auger spring that clips underneath #050736

my understanding is that B&S made the snowblowers under license for The Bay

under the name Baycrest. Ive had to have a few areas welded and fabricated a couple of pieces like the scraper bar along the whole front bottom… i still have the entire parts list and user manual.

• graham konrad
    6 months ago

Baycrest Snow Blower Parts List #1

• graham konrad
    6 months ago

Baycrest Snow Blower Parts List #2

• graham konrad
    6 months ago

Baycrest Snow Blower Parts List #3

• graham konrad
    6 months ago

Baycrest Snow Blower Parts List #4

• graham konrad
    6 months ago

Baycrest snowblower Auger Gear Box

• graham konrad
    4 months ago

I recently saw a Baycrest model #HB826E and it had the Electric Starter replaced with a Tecumseh Starter Motor #33519A 120v 60hz 13amp

• PRO
    Snidersperrasdise
    4 months ago

Hi Graham, since you are the resident expert on these Baycrest HB826 machines, do you know what B&S model number I could use to find the right carb kit, spark plug and other bits. The snowblower is at my cottage and the only number I got last time I was there was the Baycrest number (model# HB826 ser# 96360) not the B&S number. Thanks.

• graham konrad
    4 months ago

Far from an expert lol. I just have the manuals still. The pictures don’t load well here so if you you send me an email I‘ll send you a diagram where to find your B&S # on the motor housing and the number options to look for so when you find it you'll know it. my email is grahammk@ outlook . com

Note, make sure theres no spaces in the email.

• graham konrad
    4 months ago

• graham konrad
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

The Briggs and Stratton Motor number for the Baycrest Model Number HB826 --------- I actually found displayed prominently on the top of the engine rather than on the side as depicted in the image above.

----