Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who made Baycrest Snowblowers?

Posted by captain_jon Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 16:49

I have a 30 year old snowblower which was originally sold by The Bay (in Canada) - I am trying to find out who made the machine so that I can source some replacement parts.

If it helps it is a Baycrest snowblower; Model # HB826
It has an 8 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Does anyone know who made these back in the late 1970's??

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who made Baycrest Snowblowers?

Using Google, it appears it may have been made by Noma, another defunct company. I can't remember who bought them up. I think it was either AYP or MTD.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 6, 08 at 23:26

You are right, it was Noma, the Christmas tree light people. The OPE division was bought by Murray who were in turn taken over by Briggs and Stratton after filing for bankruptcy.

o

Thanks for the info...

I sent an email to Briggs & Stratton asking if they can help with the seach for parts info.

o

You can go to the Briggs site and download parts & operator manual for the engine. That's the "easy" part of the battle.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 0:29

Good luck, Briggs is not supporting Murray product over 7 years old. The good news is that it is a simple machine and other brand parts can often be made to fit.

o

Thanks for the link however the B&S site doesn't find the Baycrest model # HB826, so I can't get the parts list there.

I did get a prompt reply to my email from B&S. The 'Murray Support Representative' gave me the part numbers for the auger and traction belt numbers and said that she would send me the parts manual.

I also found a site with a pdf file that cross references old Murray parts and new B&S parts (see below) so hopefully armed with the parts list I can find what I need...

http://www.uni-power.co.uk/pricefiles/pdf/murray_to_briggs_parts_cross_reference_2006.pdf

o

"Thanks for the link however the B&S site doesn't find the Baycrest model # HB826, so I can't get the parts list there."

That's why I said-
"You can go to the Briggs site and download parts & operator manual for the ENGINE. That's the "easy" part of the battle"!

o

Hey Captain Jon, I have the same snowblower and need a new bearing for the shaft that drives the auger. It's mounted to the rear of the front casing right in front of the drive pulley. Any chance you could give me the part number? Also, does the bearing and it's housing come as one part or two? Appreciate any help you can give me.

o

I realize that this thread is old however I was hoping that someone could update me as to what was found re: manuals for the Baycrest HB826D. I have one from '78 that hasn't been used for the past several years and I would like to overhaul it or at least the engine.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here