Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy-Bilt or Mantis?

Posted by ZoeCat17 z7a MD (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 16:58

I'm in the market for an electric tiller for a few reasons: I don't want to fiddle around with a gasoline engine and the associated maintenance(our mower and trimmer are both electric too); I won't be using it for huge expanses; and I'm 5'2" so I don't want a pull start and I do want something I can easily manage (as opposed to the tiller managing me).

I'll be using this mostly to work in compost in existing beds, but I'll also be creating some new beds along the edge of the lawn (though the soil is pretty soft and the grass isn't dense sod).

In the $200-$350 range it looks like the Troy-Bilt and Mantis get good reviews.

Any recommendations or trade-offs between the two? Are there other brands I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy-Bilt or Mantis?

I have never owned an electric tiller, I do however own a mantis gas tiller. Two things I would be thinking about is to be sure you have a good extension cord and get a tiller that the tines are ease to remove or clean. The biggest complaint I have about my Mantis is roots balling up around the tines. Mantis sells a tool to clean the times, but it looks like one could be made very easily.

I would say get the one that feels right to you, I doubt you would use one long enough to wear it out. I also think it would be nice to have 2 or 3 speeds. My Mantis is the only one of my 3 tillers that I use other than full throttle, but that is not very often.

Larry

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 11:22

IMHO, I"d go with the Mantis, think they have a much better reputation than the "new" Troy bilt. Certainly parts and service are more readily avaailable.

Attached a link from Amazon with 90 something reviews. As usual for Amazon, you can subtract about 20 of the reviews as the people obviously don't have a clue what they bought or what they should be doing with it. :-)

Good luck,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Mantis Reviews

o

I have a Mantis I got used off Craigs-list several years ago for $125. Starts easy and runs great, but be warned that you really need to hold on to this thing. If it hits some hard soil, it starts to bounce around. Other than that, I like it. A larger tiller would probably be better for my use, but I prefer the Mantis because it takes up so little space in the shed.

You should consider borrowing one to try it out to see if you can handle it. I burn through a tank and a half of gas tilling my garden, and feel like I got a good workout when I'm done, and I'm much bigger than you. (6'1") That said, for the application you describe it does seem like the right machine.

o

I have mantis elect. tiller. IT IS GREAT! No gas, 3 speeds, powerful, no noise, no carb to plug up. Remember this is small tiller it's not going to break dirt like big rear tine 18" plus 8HP gas tiller will. It is good for flower beds, raised garden plots, and dirt that's not enbeded with weeds and thick rooted grass. IMO just as or more powerful than the gas small tillers like mantis and troy-built flyweight tillers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here