Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trimmer engine displacement question

Posted by cbiscuit none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 17:00

I am looking at new string trimmers. I noticed (and asked the company) that Echo does not give hp ratings because they say there is no standard to measure it. They say engine displacement is key. That being said, if you look at a Stihl KM90R's displacement, it is equivalent to the Echo PAS-280 (or the lowest commercial Stihl to the highest commercial Echo). I'm not sure I buy that the "best" Echo has is the same as the "least" Stihl has. Something has to equalize that.

So, to the question: how does engine displacement matter? How can I compare different manufacturers - straight number for number?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trimmer engine displacement question

Trimmer engines CCs are start about 26 and go up as high as 32cc. Usually it's not the CCs of the engine, but quality of the trimmer. meaning if serviced correctly the engine usually outlasts the head, shaft, clutch, and the cable running the head. Problem with trimmers is the time they set around not in use. This can kill trimmer quicker than over use due to the fuel today has lot of alcohol mixed which retains water that rusts and plugged carb. small passages up.

o

You are also trying to compare ohv 4 stroke, with a 2 stroke
and real h.p. ratings can be fuzzy advertising math.
Looking at the old Briggs 10-12 h.p. engines, slap a set of
overhead valves on them, you can add 5 or more h.p. with
the same displacement. Even with that said, an Identical
engine could be rated with a h.p. varying 2-3 h.p.

o

I guess my question is more to similar engine to similar engine, just of different size. The Echo PAS engines and Stihl KombiSystem engines are all 2-cycle engines as I understand it. Would a Brand A 28cc engine be the same (in terms of power and whatever) as Brand B's 28cc engine?

o

No the Stihl unit you mentioned is a 4-stroke unit

o

Okay, well. How do the Echo PAS-266 and Stihl KM90R compare? The Echo is 25cc and the Stihl is 28cc. "Upper" end Echo vs "lower" end Stihl...

I'm looking more for generalities and theory. Does an Echo 25cc engine produce less power than a 28cc Stihl? Is there a straight number to number direct comparison?

o

• Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:35

I think I'd research durability and reliability more than CC's.
Mike

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:39

Wondering if you're not approaching this from the wrong direction? You seem interested in getting Max HP, but in a string trimmer the ones you mention all do pretty much what they're supposed to do-trim.

Are you planning on putting a saw blade or mini tiller on the unit? Might need more "oomph" for that, though, personally, I'm not in favor of "multi function" tools.

Questions like ease of replacing line, balance, etc. might be more appropriate. also, "generally," 4 cycle engines are easier to live with than 2 cycle. However, todays "mystery fuel" does present challenges to any small engine that isn't run a lot. There are arguments that the 2 cycle oil added to the gas helps offset the mystery fuel. Personally, I add Stabil or equivalent to every can of gas I purchase for small engine use.

Good luck,

Ev

o

I am in fact looking at a multi-use tool, but that's besides the point. I am simply trying to understand engines and how companies represent them. I have done research into durability and reputation and weight and whatever else. What I do not understand is how one company twp "professional" lines from different companies can have drastically different displacement for comparable prices. Are two 28cc engines the same?

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 13:29

cbiscuit, I "feel" for your confusion about HP ratings and things. Do a search here and you'll find way more than you ever wanted to about the topic.

FWIW, a while back, my 22HP briggs was replaced under warranty by briggs. They didn't have a 22 and shipped out a 26HP. The local Briggs/Kohler/etc. "factory certified" shop that did the work were curious. They had the two engines "side by each" and were identical. Totally and completely identical. I was there and could not see any difference, same carb, etc. etc.

I posted about it at that time and a lot of folks seemed to think that the big difference was the decals. If you get into it and research what HP means in small engines, they could well have been right.

Good luck,

Ev

o

I was there and could not see any difference, same carb, etc. etc.

maybe the carb. was jetted differently and the torque band was taken at different RPM?

o

Thanks!! This seems to answer it. It seems there is more than just horsepower when rating engines. Torque is a huge part too! Thanks Exmar!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here