Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Sears Garage Door - reuses chain/cable and mount

jerry_nj
11 years ago

I have a Sears garage door opener at least 25 years old. The motor is having limit switch problems. I can try some more to figure out why it will not properly drive the door up/down... but as the old remote and receiver are in need of replacing soon I wonder if I can buy a new opener and just use the motor assembly (motor, sprocket, up/down limit switches and "box" that mounts them from the ceiling hanger) on my existing arrangement. I think all that has to match is the sprocket to the chain, and I can perhaps reuse the existing sprocket if the new unit has a different pitch for the chain. Or it may be better to use the new chain and cable, cut to fit my length requirements. Guess all I want to reuse is the steel framework the drive runs on.

Here I assume garage door openers are still made to pull the door up and down using a chain-cable/sprocket drive mechanism.

I have no reason other than fit to purchase a Sears opener, I'd like to just to got he nearby Lowes or Home Depot and buy what they have.

Comments (3)

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

I have used Sears Openers since about 1984, âÂÂAll Usedâ with very limited problems (with oil/grease/adjustments as needed from inspections, signs of wear, Etc).

1. Mechanical, the chain/cable combo has not lasted as well as just chain, both are workable.

2. Mechanical, plastic gears have failed once (of two main units) and a kit was easily installed.

3. Electrical, Storms have smoked both receivers at least once and I had extras with 4-6 openers.

4. Electrical, the original opener given to me needed a starting capacitor verified by electrical supply.

5. Sears Openers and Backups are all running strong but will not support the eye vs pressure safety.

Back to your issue, IMO your steel frame work is basically generic to all. Will the door try to operate? When operating it manually do you feel any resistance? If so what is causing the resistance (foundation shifting causing drag, lack of oil/grease) which will cause the door to reverse or stop? If you get a half effort of the door trying to start, it might be a bad starting capacitor (which a Cap bench test will spot). My last issue was spotting too much slack in the chain/cable combo and damaged cable. Spotted a bad plastic cable pulley and replaced with all chain and a steel sprocket.

Finally, I have Mixed, Matched Repaired or just replaced the complete drive units only. âÂÂAllâ are 1/3 - ý HP M/N # 139.663900 Series/Types.

Bad plastic pulley =

{{gwi:300305}}

Steel sprocket and chain =

{{gwi:300306}}

• jerry_nj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loger,

My problem at the moment is I started using the side of the garage with the bad door opener as my workshop for deck repair. I set up my table saw and other equipment in the car parking space. When winter was coming on I decided to park the equipment and return my car to the garage. So this goes back a few months. As I just didn't get around to fixing it. And I have forgotten the details of what I ran into.

But, I think I tried to open the door when the manual lock was engaged, and it tore the main lift rail off the wall over the garage. I reinstalled that and then found the door wouldn't lift. When I disengage the chain and lift the door manually it opens and closes reasonably well, so the door tracks are still in reasonable shape.

I did screw around with the up/down stops bur couldn't get them to work. I have over the years made fine adjustments so that the door would raise up full, and close so the bottom touches the floor. The adjustments are not complicated, but I wasn't making good progress so I just forgot about it and left my car outside; My wife's car/door work so she can park inside, that is a must.

I now have some time to work on the door, taxes are done, and thought why not just replace all the stuff that wears out and just keep the iron work. I figured any chain/cable (or all chain) should be able to use the iron work I have.

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

âÂÂBut, I think I tried to open the door when the manual lock was engaged, and it tore the main lift rail off the wall over the garage. I reinstalled that and then found the door wouldn't lift. When I disengage the chain and lift the door manually it opens and closes reasonably well, so the door tracks are still in reasonable shape.âÂÂ

What actually happens when you attempt to use the door?

1. Is the motor running? Remove the cover if so to verify no broken/stripped gears

2. If the chain is moving, possibly something was damaged at the door/chain/mech connection and noticeable.