Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Arnold/Briggs ?????

Hi Folks,

It's that time of the year again, when I assemble a list of all the air filters, etc. I need and send off an order to Amazon. Being in a rural area, it's difficult to track them all down, so discovered that Amazon has name brand and "aftermarket." Prices are comparable if not cheaper and no shipping provided you go over $25. and no tax. For me that's a win-win.

Anyway, while ordering a air filter for a 12HP briggs, I noticed this filter, link attached. It's labeled Arnold/Briggs, then indicates "BY" Briggs..... Did Briggs buy Arnold or something? I only know Arnold from displays in Hardware stores of "generic" made in China mower parts.

I'm very careful to only buy OEM "critical" parts like Air Cleaners as I don't trust the "others."

I'm confused.

92 on the front porch today in SE Ohio??? Going to take a cooler with some cold ones out to the barn and talk to a couple of tillers. Going to plant more garden tomorrow.

Be well,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Filter

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

ACtually, I think Arnold is tied in w/ MTD. My MTD distributor had sent an Arnold booklet a while back. In my world, I find aftermarket filters can be fine really. I use both, depending on the application or person. Visually, some aftermarket filters I think are better than others. Oregon seems to have the best quality filters. And blades for that matter. For the most part, Tecumseh filters are subbed as OEP. Deere has many of their filters made for them. Lots of their parts in fact come from China. Anyways 92 is much better than 52! Might have to have a cold one anyways...

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom,
    As usual, you're right on!! I'm referring to filters, etc. that are labeled "equivalent to" Briggs XXXX for less $$. Those I'm very suspicious of. I'm on my third Briggs engine on the GT due to the air filter fiasco a few years back. Admittedly, that was a Briggs fiasco with no aftermarket involvement. Having watched two good engines be destroyed due to bad air filtration.....

Those of you who are old enough may recall when "made in Japan" meant the absoloute cheapest trash imaginable. That turned around didn't it? Evidently the Chinese manufacturers are learning also. However there are still a lot of "inexpensive" items out there, generators, weedeaters, etc. etc. made in China that I personally wouldn't touch.

My confusion about Arnold arose from a push mower that I was given, it had an Arnold plug with "made in china" stamped on each face. Put in a new plug and it ran fine.

Thanks,

Ev

• tomplum
    12 years ago

On the bright side, I got a new Tecumseh carb. Has a sticker on the box says "Proudly made in the USA" They used to be sourced just about everywhere..

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Was in town "erranding" today and stopped at AutoZone to pick up a couple of Champion RC12YC's for the GT. We don't have any, but I do have Autolite. Hmmm, OK, Got home and put them in. Looking at the box, it said, "Designed in the U.S., Manufactured in China".

Wonder if Champion says the same?

Ev

• hawkeyechuck
    12 years ago

There are a couple of concerns with Arnold or any other non-original part. The knock offs may void your warranty and may not meet emission standards. I always stick with OEM on my equipment and cars. I can get Briggs parts with support - a live body! - and have them the next day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Briggs parts

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Spoken like a true salesman! Emission standards? Warranty? Really? Parts are a certain reminder that we live in a global economy. It was cool to see the new Tecumseh people source the carb in the US. Yep, I paid more- but it made the engine run like in never could have w/ the knock off (your word) carbs that were only available as of late. Does the word knock off only apply if the OEM doesn't sign off on it?Why when Tecumseh was building engines did the carb come from the Czech Republic and now that they are dead come from the US? With the same logo cast into the body? Hmmm...On the other hand, I can buy genuine OEM belts (made in China)for a John Deere or a American Yard Products- or I can put on a Thermoid made in USA that is the same fit from Stens. Which do I feel better putting on? I do install lots of OEM parts, but I'm not afraid to install aftermarket either. Somethings I won't sub unless I have to, it's true. I buy shop packs of the Briggs spark plugs as they are good plugs, gaps come real close etc- but it doesn't say made in anywhere. Says KED and LDE? Ran across an aftermarket anyone supplier called AEP. Bought a truck alternator, and thought I had seen them before. Used some of their starters on Briggs for a spell when I couldn't get the OEM. Imports through a company in MN. Sorry for the rant Ev. I've gone to great lengths to get OEM filters for my stuff before also. I'm just not keen on scare tactics from the other poster.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, we are in a "Global Economy" like it or not. Scare tactics and marketing go hand in hand with the world we're in.

I'm reminded of replacing a genset, I researched and determined that a small Generac would be just about perfect for my needs. Investigated pricing and ended up buying from Amazon. It arrived, nice unit. Hmmm, engine looks a lot like the "Honda Clones" from China. Generac is american made, so say all their ads. Called and after "discussing" with one of their reps, she admitted that the smaller engines, 8HP and under (don't quote me on size, it's been a couple years) are purchased as "generic" which may be Chinese made. It's worked fine for a couple of years, so....

Guess even when a manufacturer says "american made" it is, unless it isn't?

Don't even get me started on Craftsman tools and made in America......:-)

Thanks to all for the responses.

Ev