Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nailer recommendation?

Posted by rickd 8B (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 18:16

Hello everyone. I have two jobs coming up that may justify the purchase of a new nail gun. One is a composition roof replacement, incl. laying down new sheathing. The other is putting up about 100' of redwood fence.

I used one many years ago on a roof job, but not since then, so I don't know what options are available. Is there one that would be versatile enough for these two jobs?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nailer recommendation?

I think you are talking about different types of nail guns. At a minimum, one type for the sheathing and fence and another for shingles. You could do the fence and sheathing with a framing nailer. But to do shingles, you will need a roofing nailgun.

For the fencing you could even get away and may even want to use something lighter than a framing nailer. A framing gun is made to drive larger nails into thicker material. Redwood fencing is fairly light wood and typically thinner. You may want to use staples or a finish nails to prevent splitting. This would be a different gun from a framing and a roofing nailgun. Also, because you are using redwood, you will want to use stainless steel or aluminum fastners. Redwood and cedar will stain with other types of nails, including galvanized.

the zinc in galvanized nails reacts chemically with cedar and redwood. Nail manufacturers recommend that you go with aluminum or stainless steel fasteners when you're using either of these woods -- and whenever you're using pressure-treated wood. (The preservatives incorporate salts that react with the zinc.)

o
RE: nailer recommendation?

Thanks for the information, masiman. You've given me some things to think about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here