Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill7_gw

portable pumps

bill7
15 years ago

I need something more than a sump pump size. Something around 3-5 hp. Something similar to this:

http://gongol.net/assets/store/catalog/11-12.pdf

I am not familiar with pumps at all. My neighbor has a 5.5hp Honda powered one. Any other options? It would be for occasional use, but I want one that will last, as I know these things are not cheap.

Thanks

Comments (14)

• canguy
    15 years ago

What will you be doing with it? Filling a pool, cleaning up flood water? How much water do you need to move? Pumps are designed for specific jobs.

• kompressor
    15 years ago

There's a difference between a "trash pump" and a "water transfer pump" so knowing how you intend to use such a pump will dictate the best type of pump for your application. Pumps made by Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki are all excellent choices. The other issue will be one of size and that will be dictated by how much water needs to be pumped on an hourly basis.

• bill7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the Honda website. It would mainly be for water, i.e. flood water. Everything is completely saturated. The fields around me look like lakes, and have moved into my yard, and drain field. So, one of the uses would be to, and how do I say this carefully "skimming clean, runoff water out of the septic tank." I like the idea of the trash pump, but the $$ is very high. I will look at the Yamaha and Kawasaki.

Thanks for the input.

• bill7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also want to know what sites are reliable to purchase from, for example, this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: South West Trading

• canguy
    15 years ago

A knowledgeable dealer is your best bet. If you really want to go to the web you are taking on your own.
    Bill, a water transfer pump will work but the abrasives, sand mud etc, will accelerate wear. Trash pumps are pricey but are built to withstand impurities.

• cedgo
    15 years ago

Sump pump.

• canguy
    15 years ago

He mentioned he needs more than a sump pump.

• bill7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am planning on sticking a sump pump in once it slows down a bit. But to move 1000 gal of water twice a day for a week or so, it seems to me I need a bigger pump.

I think one of Yamahas mentioned being able to take a little sand/silt, just not chunks.

Thanks

• kompressor
    15 years ago

Based on the needs you reported, a two inch water pump will work fine. Presumably, you are intending to pump down the second chamber of your tank. Wire or clamp the suction line to a 2x4 so that the inlet sits at least a foot above the floor of the chamber. You can use flat discharge hose to take the water far enough away that it gravity flows in another direction. The flat hose is simple to roll up later on and is far more compact to deal with. You could probably get away with a ten foot suction hose. If you think that you need it to be longer, then buy two ten footers and install cam-lock fittings everywhere to make it easy to hook up and unhook. The two tens are simpler to store also. Make sure you buy some spare gaskets for the cam-lock couplers in case you accidentally lose one.

• cedgo
    15 years ago

canguy, true, but a sump pump would "skim the water" easily. However, 2000 gallons per day is a different story.

• bill7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kompressor:

Thanks. That is kinda what I was looking at. Good idea about the flat hose, cam lock type fittings. The filling of the tank has slowed down, but I can't figure out where all the water is coming from. Hopefully things will dry out "soon."

Thanks

• bill7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update.

Picked up a 6 hp (Honda motor) pump at my local NAPA store. The guy was very helpful. Ended up with the 2". I bought 2 sections (35' each) of hose, along with all the quick release type fittings. Not a cheap hobby. Now I have to put it all together, add oil, gas, etc. to the motor.

One more thing to worry about for winter storage!

Thanks for the input.

• artknotly
    13 years ago

Outside pumps are rarely a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: sumppumps101