Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roto-Hoe Mod # SR, Ser # 771-322 modification questions:

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 18:32

Roto-Hoe Mod# SR, Ser# 771-322 modification questions:

I helped a friend rem a link in his larger chain. Now his idler pulley that controls tension in his large and small chain w/n allow him enough movement to add both chains. Not seeing his adjustment slot, do you know if it can be elongated to add and work with the 2 chains (if it's a "very" close situation)? Please add any additional info/ tips/possible parts supplier/Etc. He said the sprockets are worn more so than stretched chains. He has used the tiller since the early 1970 with very good service.

Thanks In Advance For Any Help.
loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roto-Hoe Mod # SR, Ser # 771-322 modification questions:

Can you use some offset links or as they are AKA half links?Just remember when you remove an outside link you also have to remove an inside link.
Mike

o

Thanks for the reply and info mla2ofus. You know the exact problem of having to take two links out vs one. We plan to look at elongating the adjustment slot. Plus, look into using a master-link with spacers (as a half-link) to adjust the chain. Any suggestions on a source of half links, master links and sprockets? This might not be that big of challenge in the Fort Worth, TX area. We have plenty Small and Large Gardening Shops, Northern Tools and Tractor Supply. The age of the tiller will probably send us to some of the oldest shops with surplus equipment (harder to find these days). loger

o

Take the old chain with you to an industrial supply that sells bearing and v belts. Sometimes they carry roller chain, tho I doubt they'll have the sprockets. I don't know how much $$ he wants to put in it,But you could buy a blank sprocket with the correct # of teeth and have a machine shop fit and weld it to the old hub.
Mike

o

Thanks! For the good ideas Mike. I like your order of suggestions and we have good access to both. Plus, we do a bit of machining and welding that has helped the tiller over the years. "Too Many OLD Fun Projects" and "Young Bodies". LOL! loger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here