Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the avg wt or size of a stick of your seasoned firewood

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 19:20

1. What is the avg wt or size of a stick of your seasoned firewood and type? My back c/n keep up with my past oak and pecan wood’s wt this season. I’m headed for rehab this week to try and get my back pain under control. Usually walking 2 mi, 5 wk days along with other work kept me in good shape. Not this winter due to my past 4 mi walks during bad weather were stopped in the Mall (by my vertigo and outside has been limited in the cold).

2. I felt the need and reduced my log approx 12-15lbs seasoned one yr by splitting to quarters or halves (plus cut some of these in half before burning if my body dictates). These sizes w/n hold good coals overnight, plus I had to give up full back-sticks that would due to wt. I almost need to split my wood more listening to my back and arms (stacking green and burning seasoned). Some wood I see for sale seems split excessively small (approx 4” dia vs my 6” if I quarter a 12” dia log or split 8” dia in half).

3. I know my fireplace is less efficient vs a stove. My un-insinuated steel exposed back, 9 stainless 2” tubers (opened to the back), 7 above and 2 below the fire, glass doors and damper helps gain and control some efficiency.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the avg wt or size of a stick of your seasoned firewo

I am learning to like 8-12” section of wood vs storing them. I can burn 30” wood and will store some that long (saving time at the moment). Then cut some wood 8-12” section/blocks as I move it from stack to patio (with electric saws cuts only). Exercise/Heat is my goal!

o
RE: What is the avg wt or size of a stick of your seasoned firewo

A load of my Short Economy Idling Wood to Keep The Coals Going and Chill Off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here