Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McCulloch 10-10

Posted by rboone7760 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 19:22

I have an old mac 10 that has not been used in years. It is probably from the late 60s or early 70s. I thought that it would be good if the old boy could run. The carb was rebuilt, new gas line and filter, new spark plug and fresh fuel.
The saw will now start and run. The carb has a low and high speed adjustments. When first started the saw runs really great with good response. After it runs for a few minutes the response is not good and finally stops. I thought that there might be a problem with the gas cap vent but when i opened it up that did not help, the saw was running then.
Does anyone have any suggestion what could be the problem. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McCulloch 10-10

Suggestions:
1. Pull the muffler, check for carbon buildup/restriction. If it runs for minutes w/o slowing, this is probably not the issue. Ck cyl and rings for good surfaces while the muffler is off.
2. Check the compression cold, and then check it hot to see if the compression is affected.
3. Tweak the fuel mixture toward rich to see if it’s starving for fuel.
4. With an inline spark tester check the fire to see if it is maintained. Ck the points.
5. Good Fire/Fuel/Compression is needed for the combustion engine to run AND Exhaust!
6. Double ck the carb that all ports are open Good with wire or compressed carb cleaner.
7. That old, could it have a swollen rubber seat in the carb causing it to starve for fuel?
8. Will a prime restart it as soon as you give more fuel? Again, try to Detect Fire/Fuel/Compression.

o

The engine will run really good for 2 or 3 minutes, I did not time. The compression is very high, can only pull through one firing cycle when starting, the same after hot, no compression release. I tried to make the mixture richer with the low speed adjustment when the saw started running poorly but It did not help. After the engine dies you can restart it but it runs poorly. How do I check #6? Do I remove the adjustment screws and squirt carb cleaner?
This saw was given to me by my great uncle.

o

1. Depending on what you did in the carb rebuild, I would suggest the following to verify all ports are open.
2. I would suggest disassembling the carb, rem all rubber non metal Etc and soaking the carb 8 hrs in carb cleaner (with mixture screws removed).
3. Run wire, compressed carb cleaner or compressed air in all ports to verify they are opened.
4. If the saw sat with fuel in it years and untreated, it could be some stubborn varnish or debris in the carb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here