Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl 009 Chain tigntens by itself

Posted by mike8149 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 19:57

All of a sudden the chain on my 009 tightened up like a drum and then stalled. I took it apart and adjusted the chain as per specs and it keeps doing the same thing. I then changed the bar and chain and it still does it. If I adjust the chain fairly taunt it seems as though there is a little resistance as I rotate it manually. Could a worn sprocket cause this? I would appreciate suggestions. Thanks, Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl 009 Chain tigntens by itself

Yes, you likely need a new sprocket, if you see any notches in the sprocket, it is worn bad enough.
Also check for the oil output, by running the saw with no
bar and chain.

Fish

o
RE: Stihl 009 Chain tigntens by itself

Thank you.

I have replaced sprockets before and never had the problem with the chain tightning up. I might have two problmes; worn sprocket and defective oil pump

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here