Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
String trimmer alternative?

Posted by Terrace1919 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 19:58

Hello there!

I remember using a gas powered trimmer about 8 years ago that instead of a string, had 2 blades that oscillated against each other, very much like a hedge trimmer but in weed whacker form. It worked extremely well and I can't seem to find any record of it's existence anywhere on the internet. Does anyone have any information on this machine?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: String trimmer alternative?

Please think back and possibly come up with a photo (in your yard), brand or Etc. This is one I c/n almost remember seeing/servicing/using (since the 60s). The power mechanism is almost challenging me but I have done this manually in small or tight areas.

o

Kawasaki made this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turbo-Cutter

o

weed_cutter - thanks much, that looks like the one. I wonder if that attachment will work with my 11 amp greenworks string trimmer...

o

Maruyama also made an attachment called a "Landscape Blade". I don't know if either of these are still available or if they would fit your machine. If available they will be pricy.

Here is a link that might be useful: pushing 300 bucks

o

I use a three-pointed blade on my Stihl FS-310 trimmer. Costs about forty bucks, and is re-sharpenable. You wouldn't want to use it to trim close to a building, because it would cut the building. But for whacking down weeds and grass, it is great. There are a variety of blades and trimmer heads available for the FS-310, and I love mine. It has a shoulder harness that makes it easy to use for prolonged periods of trimming.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here