Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl MS 290 farm boss chain slips

Posted by FrakF VA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 20:21

Hi,

I'm new to the Garden Web forums. I took my Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss out for use today cutting some downed 12"-14" trees and I found the chain slipped and the saw bogged down deep in the wood. This saw has probably been used less than 10 times since purchasing in July 2012. I checked the tension readjusted and experienced more of the same. Given the age of the saw and use, I do not believe that the clutch or oiler are bad but perhaps there is something else I could check myself before taking it to a small engine repair shop. Any ideas? Frank F -- Stafford, VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl MS 290 farm boss chain slips

I don't own that saw, but chain maintenance is usually universal. Does it have chain Brake? If so it might be causing the problem? make sure it releasing when it Boggs down

Before taking in it in for repair I would suggest complete cleanup of the chain, sharpen the chain (if you don't know how paid to have it sharpen), bar, clutch housing and the brake assy (which maybe your problem if bound up from saw dust and dirt?), and clutch area especially if you may have cut dirty wood or dipped the bar into ground. Once you got it clean start if up and visible see that its oiling.

Assemble carefully making sure the bar in the adjustment slot right, chain on the right direction, and not getting pinched. Now hold the bar up while adjusting the chain pull the chain to ensure no binding. Tighten the clutch cover nuts that hold the chain tight while taken all the slack out by holding up on the bar. With gloves on run the chain again by hand to ensure it not dragging on the bar.

Now Start it up Try it again, if you have the same problem and didn't make any errors putting it back together take it to trusted repair center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here