Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy-bilt Engine Exchange

Posted by moeb1 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 20:23

Help me..I'm going crazy. I have an old Horse tiller purchased several years ago with an 8 hp Tecumseh Engine- now shot. It's a two speed with SN 189057 and a decal that says Model 2610, 5/87. I can find nothing with this model number or a SN in that range. Here's my problem, I just purchased a new Briggs 8 hp that was recommended as the most popular Horse replacement. When I started the change-out, I find that the Tecumseh has a 1" shaft and the new engine has a 3/4" shaft...now the engine pulley won't fit. I contacted Troy-bilt to see if I could buy a new pulley with a 3/4" hole and they said "no." I can return the engine, but there would be shipping costs both ways and possibly a re-stocking fee. I did check with a machine shop to see about sleeving the old pulley...a possibility at about $100. Two questions: what Horse do I really have and what's my best option with the pulley?
Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy-bilt Engine Exchange

Your tiller was made in last half of 1975 in that year only HH60 engines were used. Someone add 8 hp engine later in your tiller life. Another give away date of factoring is its 2 speed after beginning in 1977 they began with 4 speeds other 2 speeds was gain by moving single drive belt to other grooves. If you join the group at yahoo groups dot com you read a lot info there its where I looked on file that had serial list for your Horse at that group there dealer phone number Bill Roger 1-800-609-5110 normal week work hours after 9 AM so hit right time zone. That model number you gave is wrong Horse only made into I, II, III, IV models in early production. Bill Give help you need if phone he old dealer and own group at yahoo. HH60 means 6hp HH80 means 8hp this you find on starter cover on Tec.

o

gator rider,
Thanks for the information. I thought it must be older than 1987. I will follow-up with Bill Roger and see if we can solve the pulley problem.

o

Take a look around on the internet. You can buy pulleys for most any shaft size and diameter. I bought some pulleys a year or so ago of various sizes. I don't remember the company I bought them from but it wasn't hard to find them.

o
Repowering with Briggs Intek

I have a Roto-Hoe 990 tiller that I inherited from my dad that had an 8 hp Tecumseh engine that was shot. I repowered it with a 10 hp Briggs Intek engine that I got from Small Engine Warehouse. I made sure the shaft sizes were the same so the old pulley worked on the new engine but I had to make an adapter plate because the Briggs mounting bolt pattern is different than the Tecumseh. The Briggs engine works much better than the old Tecumseh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here