Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rototiller i.d.

Posted by dpudsy (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 20:42

Hey there,

Can anyone identify the make of this tiller?

Tiller plate: serial 09914 G
Motor: Briggs & Stratton Model: 92502 Type 0174 01
Code: 6509272

The lower end I.D. number in the cast is 78FF311, my current goal is to change the axle seals but am a loss as to how they are removed. This tiller is very old, I can e-mail pics to you if you think you can help.

I would like to identify this tiller to find a manual on it.

Thks
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rototiller i.d.

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 21:28

Yup it is old. The engine was built Sept 27, 1965 so it will be a 66 model. Prolly made before you LOL. You might have trouble removing the tine assemblies, they are likely frozen to the shaft. If you do get them off, carefully remove the old seals and take them to a bearing house, they may be able to match them. Forget finding a manual for that old timer.

o

I got the tines off rather easily, how do the seals come off? I tried to remove the lower end from the tiller but the drive pully is "frozen" to the shaft, tonight I poured penetrating oil on it.

The seals have me confused how the come off>>> Do you know the maker of this tiller?

o

Need a lot more info. I have tillers that date to that era. But there were at least three types. Are you dealing with a front or rear tine tiller? worm, gear, or chain drive. Most rear tines of that era were by Troybilt, Ariens, McKissic. There were lots of front tine tillers, but Merry and Snapper had most of the chain drives. Simplicity made a good worm drive, Gilson made worm drives, a large number of them store brands like Western Auto and Montgomery Ward.

o

Thank you for replying,

My tiller is a (four)rear tine, belt driven type with a 1" dia axle. The lower end is a solid casting. I need to figure out how the right (when in front facing the machine) axle side comes apart. Any other info just ask and I will try to accomodate as best as I can. I can email a couple pics if it would help.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 15:26

You should not need to strip the case to replace tine shaft seals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here