Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Got my new Tecumseh short block, they're back!

baymee
14 years ago

Genuine Tecumseh is back again under limited production. This is good news for all those engines out there needing parts.

{{gwi:300901}}

Comments (12)

• canguy
    14 years ago

We are busy replacing them with Briggs engines. OK, I'll quietly go away now (snicker).

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Odd. I have no clue what is up w/ Tecumseh. I ordered a couple different of the plastic carb bowl kits and the Tecumseh distributor was out and sub'd Oregon. Hope they work. Glad you got your shorty. Is it true they are made in the same factory as the Harbor Freight engines? Vicious rumor started here....

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm keeping the old engine. It needed a new rod, but otherwise in good shape.

The box says MADE IN USA. Dealer says it's made here. Maybe a call to Garber, is that the distributor?, will answer more questions.

A note in the box says that there was some alterations in the valve area for reduced emissions, but the head gasket is the same.

One good sign is that any paperwork was written in English, with perfect grammar, sentence structure and spelling.

• rustyj14
    14 years ago

WEll, that is good news! Hope they have seen the "light"!
    I also wish they could "see the light" when it comes to those plastic bowl carbs! T-man sez they are good, but, i reserve my thoughts about them, and think they ought to go back to the tried and true old tin bowl carbs!
    I bought a new one of them, but it was so bad, i adapted one of the old style to the engine. It worked ok after that. The man who bought that tractor says it is working great, even 2 years after he bought it!

• andyma_gw
    14 years ago

Looks like NOS parts, I'll betcha they found a warehouse full of stuff.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I started the new engine tonight. I didn't change any of the settings, but it ran only about 1500 rpm. I had to adjust the small screw on the throttle linkage to get it up to 2200. Ran it for 10 minutes and changed the oil.

Anything strange about that?

• rcmoser
    14 years ago

Arn't JD and GM engines made in the same factory/country as those harbor freight engines??? I am amazed any thing is cast in the USA. I mean why pay 30 dollars an hour when you can pay 95 cents and hour and just rake in the cash. Atleast the truckers make alittle something here in the USA.

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A small oversight caused the RPM problem. The governor lever was rubbing on the muffler. Fixed that.

The literature says the engine was modified to lower emissions. I wonder if the old carb needs to be modified too. It won't idle at a low speed. Could be a little varnish too, maybe. Can easily live without idle.

• bushleague
    14 years ago

Gardner is the distributor, what's the short block number?

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The plate on the shortblock says:

Mod. SBH-6326A Ser. 4042B

• mdebrecht
    14 years ago

baymee
    I have an old horse and connecting rod decided not to be connected any more so i could use the website for a new tecumseh short block. I hope they have one for hh60.
    thanks

• baymee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Possibly you can get one through Gardner, through your dealer. Ebay is another place to look. Maybe you just need a new rod and can reuse the cast iron engine.