Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papasmithnc_gw

Beaver Blades - Impressions

papasmithnc
17 years ago

This forum has been very helpful to me, I thought if I had any good information to share, I need to do it so here goes.

I just got through using the beaver blade today for my new Echo SRN 400U brushcutter. I had read a couple of recommendations from members on this site and another site and based on those decided to purchase not one, but two 9 inch blades. In case you don't know what a Beaver Blade is, it is a brush and small tree cutting attachment that fits on a brushcutter and uses something very similar to chainsaw chain for the cutting edge.

Anyway, I lit into a stump about 4 inches in diameter and was thrilled at how well it worked. The chain steadily cut the stump down in less than a minute. However, my joy quickly abated as I continued to cut small saplings up to 2 inches in diameter and watched as the effectiveness of the Beaver Blade rapidly diminish. In less than 15 minutes, or about 30 saplings at the most, the blade was dull and nearly useless spitting out dust instead of chips. Let me add here that I am very experienced in using a brush cutter with a blade attachment. In addition, I did not hit the ground or any object that I thought would dull the Beaver Blade unnecessarily. The trees were mostly Sweet Gum, a few Poplar and a couple of Pines. At nearly $85.00 for two with the shipping, I am one unhappy customer. I wonder sometimes if some companies have representatives come to these sites appearing as regular users but are just looking for an opportunity to plug their product. I am sorry, but this thing just didn't work for me.

Does anybody have another similar blade to recommend that might be better?

Comments (8)

• masiman
    17 years ago

Thanks for the write-up. I was also considering this brush blade.

Do you have chainsaw experience? If I remember, the Beaver Blade looks like it uses sawchain to do its cutting. You said you did not hit dirt which makes me think you have worked a chainsaw before. So I was curious if you are saying that if you had used a small chainsaw to do the same work you would have expected better performance than what the Beaver Blade gave.

• canguy
    17 years ago

Can you touch it up with a saw chain file? There probably was dirt in the bark at the level you were cutting at. Have a close look at the cutter, if there is a V radiating back from the cutting edge that is wear from abrasion.

• chestatee
    15 years ago

The gentleman making this post makes me question the validity of the post. If your experience is so broad at this why would you not sharpen the chain or not even know that you can, its no different than a chainsaw (except 2/3 less teeth). A chainsaw needs to be sharpened with a couple of file strokes to keep it performing well.
    Your statement-I am one unhappy customer. I wonder sometimes if some companies have representatives come to these sites appearing as regular users but are just looking for an opportunity to plug their product-. This is a slip on your part and tells me that you are undermining this product, who do you work?
    If I'm wrong then get a file and learn how to sharpen a chain.
    I to don't like people promoting or undermining products. It's clear about the motive of this post, since I have used the same product for 2 years.

• alton001
    14 years ago

I have owned and used a 14" beaver blade with my DR Trimmer mower for 10+ years. It is great. I bought it to cut privite that got out of control. When the aw gets dull, sharpen it like any chain saw.

I would think that the reason you had trouble was the gum from the soft wood you were cutting. I would clean it with a solvent and give it a go again

• Sue Flanagan
    5 years ago

My dr trimmer sat idle in my shed for years. It was worthless as a string trimmer. I talked my husband into putting the saw blade on. Best tool ever. blade is now dull, but I will clean, sharpen and buy a couple of back up blades. Cleaning out briars, thorns, saplings and making our land beautiful.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

These blades work best in DR units with the larger blades . Much safer and effective . The smaller blades on handheld brush cutters dull quick and result in kick back situations . Also the chain is not premium quality , therefore loses its edge quickly . Small job usage by an experienced saw user they are adequate .

• Wes Jones
    2 years ago

Pay no attention to the review above. A new beaver blade will cut 2-inch sweet gum trees all day long like butter. There is nothing comparable. There are alternatives that have fewer teeth that work great, but they wear out twice as fast.