Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Wheelbarrows, Hose Reels and Hoses

whaas_5a
13 years ago

I feel like all three of these products haven't improved in many many years.

Wheelbarrows:

- Single wheel allows manuervability but boy its extremely difficult to navigate with heavier loads.

- The front always digs into slight slopes making it very difficult to keep the wheelbarrow just level (very difficult for taller individuals)

Who makes a wheelbarrow that has a large capacity and is easy to navigate? I think I found a winner with Lifetime brand.

Hose Reels and Hoses:

- Plastic parts, they break and they leak. The darn reel always, always tips over. Why don't they allow a means to anchor it!?!

- Hoses...they kink, they crack, they kink, they crack. Even the "no-kink" hoses kink and crack.

Who actually makes hoses and hose reels that will last longer than a season or two?

Thanks folks!

Comments (8)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Have 2 of these. Good and sturdy, won't leak and made stateside.

Here is a link that might be useful: rapid reel

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

I ride around in Yuppieville, on garbage nights, and pick up the ones that the yuppies toss out! And, the lawn mowers that won't start in the Spring, also the propane grilles, and Weed-wackers! Ohhh, yes, the weed wackers!
    I have two free "gimmiee" wheel barrows that found their way to my house, free! I have sold a plethora of that free stuff, and kept the rest for my own use!
    Of course, anything that can be fixed--is!
    The hose reels--well-yes, they do crack. But, i only use mine to store the hose for winter. The rest of the time, it lays alongside the foundation, stretched out, always ready for a quick squirt. When the hose reel breaks, i just ride around and look for one that ain't near as bad as mine! Love them pickup trucks!
    For you wheel-barrow lovers, if you get a flat tire, i'd suggest getting one of those never-flat tires for it. The name sez it all.
    Now, if the frost will ever let go of my shed door, i'll get my stuff ready for the yard work. Come on, Spring!!
    I noticed at the hardware store today, they have a really nice, 4h.p. walk-behind lawn mower, nice for small yards, etc. Price $150 +/-.

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

My SIL tipped me off to hose reels. Get one that mounts to side of the house, close to the sillcock. The one out fronts sits under a bay window. It is about 15 yrs and still works well.

• fredbarber
    13 years ago

Hose reels: For my money, there's only one choice -- Rapid Reel. There's no comparison to name brand "big box" stuff. More expensive, but worth it. There's not much price competition, but now and then you'll see an online price that's a little better than the others. I bought mine through Amazon a number of years ago. Got free shipping and a discount for signing up for a credit card.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rapid Reel

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rose Reels = Rapid Reel = Sold!
    Wheelbarrows = Rapid Reel = Sold!
    Garden Hose = ? = Sill Looking!

Rapid reel has the rubber hose with reinforced fibers, but at $80 that seems a little pricey (but maybe that is the market price for a good hose).

FYI...I'm an avid gardener. I have 32 trees and conifers going in this spring, I need the best. I'm sick of this cr*p that these companies put out ie TruTemper and Suncast.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Someone here on the site had said that they buy the good rubber hose Craftsman and then if it dies, Sears replaces it.

• robertz6
    12 years ago

Check on the Sears Warranty, their policy has changed recently I think. Used to be, Craftsman Tools were warrantied for life, now some are not. I bought a Sears digital cooking therm. two days ago. The package said nothing about a warranty, the salesman said 30 days if nothing is stated.

• dmullen
    12 years ago

I have two wheelbarrows. One is a metal one with one wheel up front. It is very old and I occasionally use it but not for loads that are heavy or awkward.

The second, and most often used is a fibreglass(heavy duty) wheelbarrow with two wheels up front. It came from Sam's Club and I paid about $50 for it many years ago. It just keeps on working with no quality problems.

If it ever fails, I will head for Sam's Club and hope they are not out of them. If they are, I will find another two wheeler somewhere else.

Another option is one of the two wheeled, wooden garden carts.

I bought mine 35 years ago and it has finally worn out. I learned too late that the bed can be easily lined with sheet metal which would extend the life of that bed for many extra years of service.

This has been one of those few things in life that we buy and that are really worth the money. It will haul 400 lbs. and larger items than a wheelbarrow. Mine is the largest with 26' wheels and I intend to buy another to replace the one that is failing.

The purchase of a new one is not urgent immediately because the Sam's Club wheelbarrow handles most of my needs but the wheelbarrow will not handle as many concrete blocks, multiple large bags of fertilizer etc. at one time as will the wooden garden cart.

The best hoses for me have been the really well built and heavy ones. Mine have come from Sears and other places. They do not seem to fail and often have life time guaratees if you keep the paperwork (I do not).