Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing an impact wrench socket retaining ring

Posted by bas157 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 22:25

I've got two Ingersoll-Rand ir2131 impact wrenches, unfortunately both need the little socket retaining ring replaced (one won't hold a socket on, the other makes it very very hard to get a socket off).

This is the little C-shaped peice of metal that holds the socket on.
It is part 9 in the picture here:
http://www.grainger.com/java/images/5015GP2131ACPART.GIF

It costs under $2 for the part, I just don't know how to install it properly!
Any idea on how to replace that part would be greatly appreciated!
thanks
Bruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 9 in this exploded view of the tool

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing an impact wrench socket retaining ring

Bruce, some small engine techs who work on Briggs will have a special tool for these that they use on Briggs electric starter motor pinion gear retainers. I don't work on enough of the electric starters so I just muddle through as well as possible. Find a socket or piece of pipe that just barely fits over the hammer shaft. Place the ring in place, use a dab of grease to hold it, and use the socket and a hammer to drive it on.

My air guns I also install a small thin o-ring beneath, then spread the ring a bit so installing a socket will be extra hard on and off. I then use a one inch extension that has a spring loaded ball retainer and leave it on the air gun.

o
RE: Replacing an impact wrench socket retaining ring

I don't know where you got only part#9 for $2, but it is better to replace part#10 at the same time. #10 is a rubber o-ring. I used to buy 3 clips & 3 o-rings pack from snap-on tool truck for $8 per pack. But I found it cheaper to buy online.

http://impactsocketretainerclip.com/

The site below sells rings and tools to install. I hope this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://impactsocketretainerclip.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here