Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimmer trouble

Posted by helpless_n_ny z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 22:59

I have a Craftsman 2 cycle trimmer model # 316.791810 which seems to have its flexible drive shaft disconnected at the engine. I can pull the trigger and the engine will rev but the head doesn't turn. When turned off, you can hear the shaft end move around at the handle. Does anyone know the most direct way to disconnect the shaft from the engine? I know that sound dumb, but the shrouding makes it look like there is a scenic route and hopefully a direct way to do the job. If its possible to remove 4 screws instead of 12, I'll go for the 4. Also, does anyone know the manufacturer of the trimmer? All help is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimmer trouble

316 is Ryobi. Maybe the outer housing slipped down out of the handle a half inch and all you have to do is loosen the screws a tad and wiggle it into place whilst turning the spool.

o

I took the trimmer apart today and the drive cable is snapped at the clutch housing. I went to the Sears parts site(whose parts diagrams really helped this first timer), but they didn't show a drive cable for my trimmer. I took a rough measurement of 49". Are drive cables generic and come in various lengths with squared ends? Would any good OPE dealer carry one?

o

753-05030 is not correct? Ref# 17 .You may find one at a dealer. Length has to be correct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here