Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller Engine Replacement

Posted by john_dougan (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 23:22

I recently purchased a Troy Bilt Pony with a 5HP Briggs and Stratton Model 135292 Type 0070 01 Code 9505092D engine that the previous owner has totally bent the throttle connections at the engine--I am sure trying to get it started from bad gas (varnish on the walls and stuff floating in the tank; will only start with gas spoon fed though the plug hole, then immediately runs rough and dies). These are probably repairable with carb kit and tank cleanout and parts if the connections are warped beyond repair.

But I would like to explore replacement engines as well. The only engine I have been able to find so far that has the two drives needed for the forward and reverse pullies to work is a Briggs 123435-PTO. Are there other options? Briggs? Honda? Tecumseh? Others? Electric start would be fine as the tiller will mostly be used by my 78 year old father in law.

I am fairly sure this is a replacement engine. The tiller appears to have had a battery at one time but this is a 1995 recoil type motor. After looking at every square inch for two days, I have not been able to date the tiller. The part number molded into the transmission is 20690 and the number on the drive shaft is too short and unreadable (?0762). Neither appears to start with a letter. Sorry for the long post but I hope this helps with more specific answers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy Bilt Pony Tiller Engine Replacement

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 5:12

Did you try Tulsa Engine warehouse or Jack's small engines?

o

Yes. There websites and Small Engine Warehouse's are where I found the Briggs engine.

o

I have A gardenway by Troy Bilt tiller(1999)MODEL NO 12194. iT HAS A BLOWN ENGINE.Where can I find replacment Engine?It has seperate shaft that reverse works off of.The old engine is a Tecumseh.Can I find a Briggs and Stratton or Kohler engine to fit this tiller?

o

You need go to Harbourfreight store get 6 1/2 hp greyhound engine like so many other are doing. I think going price around 129.00 now. Forget about reverse shaft just pull machine backwards are spin around finding reverse shaft engine next to impossible.

o

I bought a very good Troy Bilt Junior rear tine tiller used today. Is the Junior the same thing as the Pony? The engine needs to be replaced. The Tecumseh has a whole blown out the side of it. Where can I find replacement Engine? It has separate shaft that reverse works off of. I tried looking for a replacement block but Tecumseh seems to have gone out of business. Is there a Robin a Briggs & Stratton or Kohler engine to fit this tiller?

If I go to the Harbourfreight store and get 6 1/2 hp greyhound engine and forget about reverse shaft and just pull the tiller backwards or spin around, is that really working for so many others who are doing it? Is finding reverse shaft engine really next to impossible?

o

Charles join yahootroybiltgroup dot com there Va. is dealer owner Bill Rogers he best answer all Questions he has 800 number on that site he owns site he maybe in driving distance for you location. I think no one builds that engine any more Jackssmallenginewarehouse dot com be best source if there are any. The yahoo group has files that tell all about troy bilt tillers I'm member 13 groups there most are GT tractor there so many groups there cover about all equipment to garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here