Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller assistance (Cont'd)

Posted by dave_danger West Central Ga (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 23:34

(quote) Posted by Val Campbell 98033(val.s.campbell@hotmail.com) on Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 9:37

I have a 1992 Horse with a Briggs and Stratton 7 horse engine on it. I am finding that the transmission is extremely hard to shift. I have changed the 140 weight lube in the tranny but that doesn't seem to help. I can shift it when it's running and by bumping the clutch a little, but with only the strongest effort, to the point where I'm afraid I'm going to break the shifter.... how common is this? This tiller was purchased a couple of years ago and had very very little run time prior to that.. owned by an attorney that probably only put 10 hours on it in the previous 18 years.... didn't shift that hard when I first got it???? (quote)

Val, I had the fortune to tear one of the older Horse II models down to its smallest component parts and rebuild it from scratch... in 1978. That being said, All I remember about the inside of that tranny was that in addition to the steel/iron parts, it had a handful of brass or bronze gears that were worn pretty badly, making it difficult to shift. Sounds like that might be your problem here. It seems odd that you'd have worn gears already though with as little operating time as it sounds like it has.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy-Bilt Horse Tiller assistance (Cont'd)

I have an 81 horse II (I think). It does not shift like a car, by that I mean it wont snap into gear, but if I will move the tiller a little forward and back it just slides into position. Mine has the 140 wt. oil in the gear box and the gears look good when case top is removed.

It looks like a very simple gear box and should last a long time.

Mine has brass gears that run against the worm gear to drive the wheels, I think the tines are set up that way also.

I think if you remove the top cover and drain the lube you can get a pretty good idea what shape the gears are in, mine is 30 years old and looks great.

Larry

o

Changing Low and High speed always start form neural in low and high speed. First lower center lever to engage belt that move all income transmission gears (rotate). Then move low high lever to speed desired by transmission gears already turn an easy shift can be performed.

If lever still hard to move go to pivot on low high speed lever with 3/4 open wrench move nut counter clock wise half turn if this don't loosen level. Take all way off remove lever clean all parts rust is about freeze up pivot point. This pivot point is friction to hold lever in gear there no other detentes in transmission. You should be able to shift with little finger and friction tighten right hold in gear. Don't grease pivot and watch assy. and dis assy closely so parts be right place so friction work.

Center level that lifts engine lube with PB Blaster lube pins engine slides up and down on PB Blaster other solvent work as well. It take this about 3 times year make shifting easy for me.

o

This was discussed a few years back, about hard shifting. At that time, it was advised to use gear oil with the sulphur in it, as that made the brass gears slide easier. The artical said expressly NOT to use regular/ modern transmission gear lube. This pertained to the older tranny. Much newer ones may not need the sulphur oil.
Might i advise to go back several years in this forum, and look for the many words written about the older TB tillers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here