Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Volkmann Bros. Growing Stand Trays

Posted by ibuzzard Ca. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 0:03

I recently scored a used very large growing stand made by Volkmann Bros. in about 1995. The company focused on supplies for growers of African Violets, and, while still in business, are greatly scaled back, and no longer produce these stands. A few of the trays are missing, the remaining ones are rather brittle. Apparently, their size is rather proprietary for their custom sized racks.

Can anyone point me to a place where I might purchase heavy duty trays in oddball sizes? These trays are essentially suspended by the parallel front and back rails. My only other soluton would be to have some made, and this smells like big money to me. Thanks, Steve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Volkmann Bros. Growing Stand Trays

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 14:35

Hi Steve,

"These trays are essentially suspended by the parallel front and back rails."

What is the spacing between those rails? I recently needed some trays to fit on my 18-inch x 48-inch chrome wire shelves, and found some non-stick steel cookie sheets at Walmart that filled the bill nicely. Of course, they don't have to hang precariously between a front and back rail, but they are pretty strong and rigid, and probably could hold a significant load in a situation like that.

As a temporary solution to get some plants on those shelves, you could find some scrap wood and cut wooden supports to fit on those rails. Sometimes you can find some damaged pallets at a home store that they will sell cheap or even give away.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here