Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fod or should i say iod!

Posted by rcmoser (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 0:14

Well, my cheap green featherlite blower has FODDED the flywheel cooling fins. One of the nuts tha hold the handle on came loose and was bouncing around the flywheel breaking off the cooling fins. Not all of them, but a few. So I tore the top cover/crankcase sump off to get down to the rattling parts. Found the nut and shook all the fins out. Also noticed the block screws were loose letting the motor slop around. After tighting up and reassembling, it fired right off and will blow another day. Maybe run alittle hotter but it will still push air, Geeezz, I only got 7 years on it and that was after I pulled it out of the trash!. For you none aircraft lingo dud's FOD (Foreign Object Damage) IOD (internal Object Damage)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fod or should i say iod!

I've had to take mine apart twice now to tighten that nut. Mine's probably 5 yrs old, it gets run hard blowing off church parking lot and sidewalks every week in mowing season. I think you can buy them now for $70 - $80. For a cheap unit, we've sure got our money's worth out of this one.
thanks,

o

I should of known something was up? felt the handle loose, more than normal. the nut that came loose on mine was one of the two at the rear handle right over the flywheel.

I was in a hurry till I heard that clicking, clack, banging around. Course I shut if off immediately, but the damage was all ready done. I seen them on sale for as little as 69 bucks. 69 bucks you probably can't buy a carb. for that.

Mine still runs good and I was susprised how clean the spark plug and crankcase sump was when I had it apart. I didn't want to have to take the carb. off so I just clipped the plastic top cover to let it slide over the carb. .

o

Yep, that was a bummer, having to take carb off,,,,
I think I put a nylon lined nut on last time,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here