Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edger blade replacement

Posted by hbob (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 0:15

I just bought a used Kee walk behind edger and it needs the blade replaced. I had to guess at how this was done as I didn't get the instructions with it. By holding the old blade still and cranking the nut with a socket I removed the old blade. I then put on the new blade, the washer, the nut, and then reversed the process to install the new blade. Problem is, once you get the nut somewhat tight the blade, pulleys, and belt all start to turn and you can't tighten up the nut anymore. The nut does appear to be as tight as it was before, but I'm not certain. I couldn't find any place to put another wrench to hold the pulley still while tightening up the nut holding on the blade. I did start the edger and the nut didn't seem to come loose, but I just want to be sure I did this right before I use it. So does anyone have any experience putting on a replacement blade on this edger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edger blade replacement

Oh if it matters, its a Kee Trailmate edger model ET101.

o

According to user manual in my collection, for the SE101 and ET101 you simply loosen nut and remove washer to replace blade. It then says to reinstall washer and tighten nut.

I'm sure you figured that much out yourself.

If you remove the front belt guard and the belt itself, you may be able to grab the pulley on the hub with a pair of channellocks or vise grips. Do not grab the sheaves themselves or the teethmarks you leave will chew up belts.

Another trick is to get an old belt and a piece of pipe about 6" shorter. Thread the belt thru the pipe, one around around the pulley and put a bar thru the other end. When you twist up on the pipe, it will grab the pulley, allowing you to tighten the nut. Basically the belt and pulley are functioning like a home-made strap wrench.

o
RE: tilt trigger torsion spring

• Posted by jwp1 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 22:21

I have a Kee Trailmate ET 101 edger that the torsion spring on the tilt trigger handle came off and I don't know how to re-install it. Any help will be appreciated.

o

Jwpl, I cannot help, as to the OP, help is easy..
Use an impact tool, or
Is the nut a "nylock" (plastic as a anti turn, better than lock washers) ??
It has to be tight, but NOT that tight, check the torque specs.
Another idea is the use of a "lock-tite" on the threads, but be careful here, be very careful. Some lock-tite is a forever thing.
Out in the field, the primary problem is overtightening, not under.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here