Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayerbabs

Attaching wheels & axles to a storage shed

BayerBabs
10 years ago

I know this seems far fetched but we are hauling a 8'x16' storage shed from MD to FL. It meets all road hauling requirements so permits aren't needed. However, we are trying to figure out the safest/quickest method. We've done the whole tie it down to a trailer and haul it but then I thought what if we installed wheels and axles to the shed and put it directly on the road. We wouldn't have to worry about slipping. I cannot seem to find anything about this process online. Anyone have any clue? Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

I would suspect the shed would not be up to the torsion effects if you attach wheels directly to the shed. A building is not designed to with stand the twisting that an trailer or other vehicle is exposed to. Everything you go around a corner, over a bump, etc the shed would be stressed. By the time you got to Florida every joint in the shed would be loosed up and the shed may not be there.

On a trailer the trailer experiences these stress.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

IMO! I feel the traveling speed and wind resistance might present problems/hazards/Etc.

1. Please post a pic of the shed and trailer.
    2. Why re-invent the Wheel if you have a good flat-bed trailer?
    3. Why not disassemble the shed in section and stack it on the trailer for less resistance?

Good Luck!

• baymee
    10 years ago

You really need a trailer and something to divert the blunt force of the wind to a flat panel at 60MPH.

I might be going to MD soon. What day did you plan to be on the highway? :)

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

While there will be a lot of wind at 60 (Probably more realistic 70) mph will be significant, I would hope the shed could withstand the winds at that speeds. It should be constructed to with stand on between 100 and 120 depending on the local building codes.

You can get 60 mph winds in a summer storm, and much higher if there is a nearby hurricane.

What it can with stand will be dependent on the shed construction. A 2 X 4 stud wall with a 4' X 8' panel nailed on can with stand a lot of pressure.

I still think even with what I have said above that the torsion stress on putting the wheels directly on the shed and not using a trailer would destroy the shed.

• slowpoke_gardener
    10 years ago

I would suggest that you come up with a better Idea. Liability would be a major concern of mine. I use to drive an 18 wheeler and saw too many crazy things happen on the highway. The Cops and D.O.T can really be a "Bear" when they want to be.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

This sounds like a horrible idea. I doubt it makes it there in one piece. Many people could be killed if it finally self destructs on I 9 5... 2x4's would be projectiles and sheets of plywood/osb would be like sails. I would also imagine the state patrol might have a liking to any shed on wheels.

No way you can just sell it locally and rebuild?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

I'm just thinking of the jolt it would take hitting a large pot hole.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

I once called an Amish shed builder company and inquired why they don't sell any three-sided sheds, to store firewood in. They said because there's not enough strength in the building to ship it.

I agree with all the above. If you need to ship it, have to put it on a flatbed, tie it down.

• josephcooper7614
    8 years ago

Loger_aw...

You have hit on the nail on head...do the real math of science of winds and enviorment of life..do the portable and folding shed like darn house does. by the " Black Buddha of Nature " be smart of doing things in life ok

• romore_gw
    8 years ago

This thread is four months old, I wonder if he tried it.

• krnuttle
    8 years ago

We live about 15 miles form I-95 in North Carolina We have heard nothing about any shed caused collision in this area of I-95.

Nor I have I seen any amount of wood on the section of I-95 that we drive that would indicate the destruction of a shed.

Of course if he tried it we are probably further south than the shed would have made it before it fell to pieces.

• J M
    last year

There is a safe way to do this. Pm me at jerrywmayes2@gmail.com