Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving plants by pickup

Posted by ltecato 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 6:11

I'm not a pro but was hoping someone could share a trick of the trade. What are some ways to keep big potted plants from tipping over and rolling around the bed of my pickup?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving plants by pickup

A friend of mine used two old wooden pallets, set the pots on them, marked them. Then used a jigsaw to cut out the circles. The pots set down in the holes about five or six inches. If i remember he could haul about eight large potted plants in a standard pickup..

o

1. Put a topper on it, tie the plant down?

or

2. Loan your pickup to someone who owns a van, borrow his van?

or

3. Pick a very calm day, tie the plant down, and drive 3mph to your destination?

o

lay plants down in bed truck get tarp size bed or smallest you buy. Buy one box of 30 zip lock bags the kind don't have slider get pop type fill with dirt sand rocks add to top tarp hold down.

o

I got some trees at attwoods couple of years ago. 3 bradford pears and two bald cypress. I put them up in the truck upright, got up into the truck and laid them down root at the front laid all the rest and let the trunks lie on the tailgate. I had 30 miles to go, I drove 45 to 55 MPH and didn't hurt them a bit. I think it was from: laying down and bunch togather. Standing up you will only be about to go about 20 MPH if that, it will either blow them over or start ripping the leaves off from the wind over the hood and cab. Seems to be and air pocket laying down in the bed. Worked in my case. I tried to say below 45 MPH but that was hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here