Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treehugger101

Best Gas String Trimmer without Bump Spool

treehugger101
11 years ago

My wonderful light trimmer just died. It was a Homelite trim n edge zip start 25 cc curved trimmer. Which new models would you recommend for someone 5' 10" tall to trim a huge lot with deep grass patches? I have an acre and a half. I need something light weight. Lowe's models all seem to be bump spool models which for me were a big hassle or else the reviews are terrible. Can you make a recommendation please? I expect to pay 200-300. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• krnuttle
    11 years ago

It is not the lightest but I have a Cub Cadet BC509 4-Cycle Trimmer/Brushcutter. It does a great job.

If you check the reviews they say it is hard to start. BUT this spring I took it out of the shed, and using the procedure in the manual it started on the first try. I have never had a problem starting it.

The good thing about it is that you don't have to mix the gas/oil, and consequently, do not have the carburetor getting fouled by the oil.

I still have my syringe that you use to measure the oil into the gasoline, I now use it to put oil into the crank case.

This post was edited by knuttle on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 7:24

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

I feel the best would be hard to define or defend. I use the heaviest line and pre-cut it to give me a fixed dual line (with 2 knots inside the spool to hold it until itâÂÂs too short).

I followed the suggestion of a Small Engine Dealer, Sales and RepairmanâÂÂs Advice (in about 2000). His info was based on facts on the Professional Yard Crews clients. He said Most Preferred the Mid Range Echo SRM-225 I believe at that time. He said that his were in the 220.00 range. Or! I could save a few dollars at Home Depot, Etc Big Box Store, with the same trimmer and two Year Warr then. I did and it starts today as easy as the guarantee then (2 pulls I think).

Being honest it d/n solve my problem of breaking the string 8-10 times per my full small yard. The string problem was me personally IMO vs the trimmer. I like the straight shaft reach vs bending my back. I still use it in tight areas and guessed 3 hrs per yr but I feel itâÂÂs more like 6 hrs per yr (72 vs 36 hrs over 10 years at least trouble free and no replacements maintenance vs checking). My primary trimmer has a straight shaft, hard blade and wheel att. Due to all the concrete I have. Tilted at about a 45 degree, I bevel the grass to the dirt at the concrete and trim about every 3rd cutting. It is a modified Green Machine with a longer straight shaft to save bending my back.

• apprenticegardener
    10 years ago

I have given up on string trimmers (have had both a gas and an electric) and settled on a 4-cycle gas with a straight shaft and a hard blade. Can be converted to an edger by simply rotating the shaft 90 degrees.

I find myself using it much more frequently than a (almost always frustrating) string trimmer. Consequently, the yard generally looks neater and better cared for.

Best Wishes--Carl
    Atlanta, GA

• jeeper55
    10 years ago

I have a echo 2 cycle for about 5 years now with lots of use. I tossed the bump and go and got the head that you just bolt on that uses 2 pieces of 155 size line about 6 or 7 in. long the .only way to go,line lasts a long time. It is also a straight shaft

• tonyjack
    10 years ago

don't waste your money on craftsman, they are all low bid units. there is no consistency on their suppliers so parts can be a problem. also, sears has a nasty habit of making their units just a tad different so what is interchangable on other trimmers won't work on craftsman, you have to buy their part and it is always order, wait, and pay shipping. i have a rider and can not get any tech help from sears. homelite makes engines for most of the light trimmers. pull the plastic off and the engines are almost identical. if anyone can help me to get my brake to release so i can again cut my acre would appreciate any tips. extremely CRITICAL now to remove gas from any thing you will not be using after the summer is over as the new gas eats the rubber and also absorbs water. most repair shops are now recommending that you store no more than a 30 day supply. the new gas will also absorb water from the air in the tank if you let it set for any length of time. not to mention the varnish that forms as the gas evaporates.

• apprenticegardener
    10 years ago

Did want to mention that I just bought a new Craftsman branded hard-blade brush trimmer accessory for my Craftsman string trimmer and noticed that the accessory can be fitted to at least four other major brands of trimmer.

Also wanted to mention that I have never had a problem getting a Craftsman part. Yes, I did have to pay freight, but that is the nature of business today. Plus, the number of times I've had to do this (get a part) is few.

The comments on gas are very, very true. Ethanol content may be good for the overall economy, but makes maintenance and fueling even more critical.

Best Wishes--Carl
    Atlanta, GA

BTW--Is there a "Craftsman's OK" part of the forum ?