Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy Bilt Tiller

Posted by warrior1 Maryland (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 9:01

Hi Folks, hoping for some help
I own a troy bilt tiller purchased new back in the 70's (unsure of exact year). Originally a 7hp Kohler Horse model, SN 197252. Model number unknown. During the first ground breaking this year the transmission developed a bad leak at the front belt pulley. Upon dissasembly I discovered that the main shaft had over 1/4" of end play which destroyed the front seal. The rear tine bronze gear was very worn and the gear oil had a definite gold hue. Also the rear bearing for the main shaft had disintegrated and chewed up the back end of the main shaft. At a minimum I need the the main shaft, bronze gear, and all related bearings and seals.

Now my questions: To get the proper parts if available I'm told I need to know the model number which I don't know. Also when rebuilding this transmission what is the allowable main shaft end play (if any) and how is it adjusted?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy Bilt Tiller

Hi,

There is a Yahoo Group which deals with Troy Bilt tillers which can answer all of your questions.

Just google yahoo groups troy bilt or go to yahoo groups and you can find it.

Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here