Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
troy-bilt tiller rear gearbox problem

Posted by breaknit (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 9:13

I have an 8hp Troy-Bilt rear-tine tiller. The right seal on the tine assembly started leaking and I replaced both seals (the bearings and gears looked fine and I didnt remove the worm gear). I reassembled, jacked the rear of the tiller up as instructed in the manual, added the recommended amount of 140 gear oil (GL-1 was all I could find) and the dip stick read WAY overfilled, so I drained most of the gear oil out until the stick read OK. Now the gear box is getting hot although the level still reads OK. any ideas?

thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: troy-bilt tiller rear gearbox problem

140 wt oil tighten up bearing to tight. drain refill with 85w-140 older troy bilt tiller use 140 wt back in winter I put 140 in one it choke engine down when turn on tines so had good tiller with to thick oil Drain out install 85w-140 engine could keep running allow tines turn serval minutes before start tilling alittle warmup help the belt are belts. When have plastic shim gaskets always use torque value on bolts or socket screws with locktite.

o
RE: troy-bilt tiller rear gearbox problem

thank you very much. just got back with a bottle 85-140 and was hoping that would do the trick. thanks very much again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here