Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ithoughtiwassmart

Craftsman Garage door opener-no workie

ithoughtiwassmart
13 years ago

I have a garage door opener where the chain was coming off, so I investigated the issue to realize the top gear could be pulled up and moved in any direction. The bushing had broken. I ordered a sprocket kit from Amazon(22 bucks) and installed it with no issues. Now when i hit the button to engage the opener the top gear spins 1 revolution clockwise and then reverses for 1 revolution. I have not hooked the chain up, and my sensors are aligned. I am not receiving any flashing lights from the bulbs indicating an issue. I have adjusted my up and down tension all the way up and down to see if it would have an impact. Nada.... Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment (1)

• don_1_2006
    13 years ago

I have to assume you installed all the parts that came with that kit. If so:

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.