Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tow behind fertilze spreader

Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 10:53

Hi Folks,

Decided to get a smal tow behind spreader. After looking around, this one looks reasonable, has metal (aluminum) gears, three year warranty, and a "reasonable" manufacturer. Particularly like the wide stance and wide wheels as I have some hills to deal with. I said "small" as I usually use a three point hitch, 800 lb. one on a farm tractor. That does a good job, but getting to be a chore to dig it out of the barn, hook it up, etc. to spread a couple hundred pounds.

Any of you have one of these?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Agri Fab spreader

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tow behind fertilze spreader

First thing out of the box before you start assembling the unit.

Make sure that the gear box will turn the impeller. Saw two that were defective from the factory and after two to three hours the guys spent putting them together was wasted. For after the replacement part came for one he had to take it all apart and start over. The other took the it back to Home Depot after he wasted three hours assembling it only to have to go through the assembly process again.

Myself I prefer a Brinly-Hardy. Especially like the Stainless steel gears and rotating assembly.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 13:50

Thanks Hippy, reviews at AMazon seem to agree with you. Also, it's a little bit cheaper. That's the reason I like to ask questions in these forums.

Ev

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 15:46

"Only in America." :-)

Checked warranties and the Brinly is only 90 days compared to 3 years with the Agri Fab. However, If I read the Agri Fab info correctly, "Full three year warranty, except on wearing surfaces."

We definitely need more attorneys in our society. :-)

Ev

o

I bought one about 15 years ago, maybe a little smaller. Used it about 10 times with of Crabgrass pre-emergent (300-500 pounds each application) and broadleaf control too. Works OK, but on mine the gears will stain/corrode if you don't hose it down after each use. This new one looks to have a cover over the gearing.

Also, it might dump too much where you start each load (too much nitrogen). So I fill the hopper over a tarp and collect that when I am done.

o

I have an Agi-fab drop spreader I like it better personally, it is easier to judge where you have applied and gives a more even distribution.

The slingers are faster but wasteful at times, and are more prone to breaking IMHO.

The one I have is linked below but I think Amazon has it cheaper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spreader

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here