Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejmorgan60

Ryobi 890r Not Running Right

ejmorgan60
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have a Ryobi 890r which which I've had for almost ten years and still starts with 1 or 2 pulls. The problem I'm having is that when I open the throttle all the way, she loses power and dies. Anybody know what might be wrong and how to fix it? I really don't want to buy a new one because I like the one I have. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• hippy
    10 years ago

HI needle needs sitting.

If it dies or losses engine power once warmed up. Remove the exhaust. Check the exhaust port. If it is blocked off. Rotate the piston to TDC to prevent debris from falling into the combustion chamber and use a small flat tip screw driver to clean the port. BE VERY CAREFUL not to gouge the piston when cleaning.

• jimdean59
    10 years ago

My Ryobi starts but will not run full throttle until 20 min or more to warm up . Can you help?

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

1. Have you tried tweaking your high mixture screw (1/8th turrn out to start).
    2. Has it had a general tune-up and general diagnostic exams?
    3. Share more history (age, stored with treated fuel, cleaned carb, replaced fuel lines, Etc).

• rcmoser
    9 years ago

I think the 890r 4 stroke, if so I would also check valve lash. If I remember correctly this is routine check? If you never check the lash I would get past that first.. I think also the carb is barrel type with little adjustment other than Idle? I have four stroke about 12 years old and just this year after storage all winter it was almost gummed up. Luckily, I got it to start and ran some fuel additive through it and it took off and ran normally, but not after several attempts to get it to run WOT with out stalling out.