Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthquake chipper/shredder

Posted by dtwredwings Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:03

I have been trying to find info on the Earthquake brand chipper/shredders, but to no avail. There seems to be bias to the Mighty Mac brand here. I'm sure it works great but is it worth the $1700 for this unit (12PT10). The Ardisam Earthquake has a 10HP for about 800 less

http://www.ardisam.com/detail.aspx?ID=7416

So does anyone have one of these, used one of these or have any other info on them at all? Does the MightyMac SC763 work better than the Earthquake, even though it is 6.5HP? Why would I buy the SC763 which is about the same price as the Earthquake, when I can get the latter with a bigger more powerful engine. For what it's worth, I will be using this machine to grind leaves in the fall...and I have a lot of them, and to clear and maintain the edge of the property line where I have been storing bracches and blowing said leaves for years. In other words, I'll have a lot of work at first, and then just maintenance once everything is cleaned up. But definitely enough work to warrant the purchase. I'll spend the extra money if it is worth it. Any input wopuld help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthquake chipper/shredder

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:11

We sell both the Earthquake and Bearcat. We brought the Earthquake in as a lower cost alternative but when customers look at them they usually go back to the other. Extra horsepower is all well and good but not much use if the machine won't stand up. For light occasional duty, go with Earthquake. For heavier use and long life, step up to the Mighty Mac, Bearcat, or something similar.

o

"Extra horsepower is all well and good ..."

It also doesn't do any good if your chipper blades are dull.
IF the vast majority of your branches are under 2-2.5", 5 HP is sufficient- with sharp blades.
If you have a fireplace, burn the larger stuff.

o

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 23:45

Outdoor burning is banned here and wood burning appliances are not allowed in new homes. It is either chip or pay through the nose to haul brush to the re cycling centre.

o

I think I'll wait and get one of the better MacKissic units, like the 12PT10. From what I read it is a far superior machine over the LSC510, although it is almost twice as much. I really like the hammermill shredder, and the SC763 seems like it may be a bit underpowered...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here