Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markd3682

information on tiller engine

markd3682
13 years ago

I have an old old Troy Bilt Tiller (probably made in the 70's) it has a HH-60 engine on it that is broken. I need help finding a replacement engine for it. The MTD customer service girl was not much help.

It is a HH-60 105079D

Serial # 0104 16660

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Comments (11)

• yungman
    13 years ago

What brand?

You try the website of the brand of engine and let them guide you through identifying the engine by the number? If it is B&S, you can pin point down to the exact engine even with or without bearing and all.

• canguy
    13 years ago

You have a Tecumseh cast iron 6hp. Finding a replacement is going to be a problem. The engine hangs off the tiller from bolts through the crank case cover, I am not sure the newer aluminum engine blocks will stand the strain.
    You may need to fabricate a plate to sit the engine on, weld it to the frame with proper support.

• yungman
    13 years ago

Sounds like it's time for a new tiller. Even if you can fit a new engine in, how about the rest of the tiller? I don't believe there is such thing as collectable tiller..........or it there??!!!

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

You need go to harbor freight look for 6 1/2 engine called Greyhound. they cost 120.00 if go to habor freight web site you download coupon that give 20.00 off engine price so pick engine up for 100.00 dollars. you need few bolts mounting and the bolt goes in end of crankshaft the instruction booklet comes with engine tell you about mounting bolt thread sizes but lenght you have to get that right. Greyhound engine honda nockoff made in china overhead valve engine very high torque engine so power be better that old engine. I bought mind in november 2008 when first came to harbor freight they were put into sales for 2009 year. Mind works in 1973 troy bilt tiller with no problems you loose small amount traction because engine has more alu. so lighter than HH60 iron engine.

• markd3682
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, sorry it's a Tecumseh 6 h.p. engine. I believe they had a problem where the connecting rods break after a while. The tiller itself is in good shape so adding a new engine is probably what I'll try to do.

Gator rider. Was there any issues putting on thew 6.5 from harbor freight that I should know about?

Thanks all for the replies.

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Throttle on front of engine you need longer cable if want throttle control on handle bar. Kill switch also on engine a rig would have to be made to put handle bar. I don't use throttle on mind on handle are kill switch on handle bar doesn't give me any problems. These engine are made to replace tiller engines and go-karts. Bolts that mounts engine are metric thread but some folks just force the national coarse thread in mounting holes not good thing to do in my opinion. center bolt in in crankshaft is standard thread 5/16. Looking at manual that comes with engine spec. page have thread size information. I run my engine just above Idle to till,but to cultivate run wide open so throw more dirt to plants. Its honda nockoff so parts from honda engine will fit.

• markd3682
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gator rider,

So I take it this is the best replacement as far as the bolt holes lining up and straight forward install? Any Ideas about a longer throttle cable that you know of?

Thanks

Mark

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Greyhound has front throttle and place to hookup cable you need loosen the friction on throttle if hookup cable. About any lawnmower shop small engine shop can look in parts book for cable that have lenght you need I don't no how long needs to be because I have not went t o trouble look one up.

• markd3682
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gator rider,

I hate to keep beating you up with questions, but I went to Harbor Freight and looked for the 6.5. There are two now. There was only one yesterday. One is "CARB" compliant the other isn't. Any Idea which one is the right one? They are confusing me!

Thanks

Mark

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Question no problem Model number engine you need is 66015

• markd3682
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot!

Mark