Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lkeaf blower wont start. has compression,spark and fuel??

Posted by bansheegoof none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 14:00

as title says, I have a sthil leaf blower, 25cc, that wont start.
it has 50psi compression. spark from old and a brand new sparkpug. and fuel. it wont even start with a shot of starting fluid put directly into the cylinder or through the carb. it ran fine at the end of season. it has new gas in it. I have tried to start it many times, letting it sit for for half and hour with the plug out so I know its not flooded at my next attempt at starting it. help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lkeaf blower wont start. has compression,spark and fuel??

1. 50 psi compression is low or bad IMO unless it has some type of compression release.
2. See if you can hold the compression in the cyl with your finger while cranking (testing gauge).
3. If you can hold the compression in, it might be bad. That is my simple method of testing gauges.
4. How old is the blower or approx hrs per # of seasons?
5. Pull the muffler to see if the cyl & piston looks scratched vs slick and ring looks free in grove.
6. I have seen some run with little compression but erratic or stopping as if there should be more.

Hopefully someone will know the range of good compression and will share to help diagnose the problem.

Good Luck!

o

Outside chance? make sure the muffler spark arrestor screen in not carboned up. My less than two year old sthil blower done the same thing and it was the muffler screen plugged not letting exhaust escape. This is routine maintenance on these two strokes. If you haven't ever done it good chance that's the problem.

If the compression reading is correct with air in and air out, probably too low to fire anything below 75 probably bottom of the barrel IMO. takes a lot of torque to move air, so the blowers usually wear out quicker than trimmers IMO>.

This post was edited by rcmoser on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 6:07

o

Stihl and Husqvarna handheld blowers..

You either get a good one that will run good for a year maybe two. Or you get a bad one that will not run at all right out of the box..

I do not care what people have to say about it.

Once they go bad. There are no fixing them.

o

Hippy glad you back! Always liked hearing your opinion over the years...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here