Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
biodegradeable weed eater line

Posted by BlairJ none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 14:11

Do any of the weed eater manufacturers produce line made out of a biodegradable material? I have so far resisted buying a weed eater because they send little bits of plastic line flying off into the garden as they are used. I really don't want to add any more plastic to the environment than is already out there. If the line were made of a biodegradable material it would not be an issue. There are more and more plastic-looking biodegradable products (like utensils and bags) in the market place these days, and this would seem to be a good use for that kind of material.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: biodegradeable weed eater line

Instead of using string for the trimmer use a cutting blade. (One came with my Cub Cadet in addition to the string spool)

It will cut as well, in some cases maybe to well so you need to use one with extreme care. With the blade it becomes a skill saw on a stick.

o

I picked up a couple of metal blades when I bought my Stihl trimmer. I didn't use them because they didn't cut my weeds. Then I tried a 3 pointed metal grass blade and wow! what a difference. This thing cuts grass and big weeds like going through butter.

Zeuspaul

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass blade

o

BlairJ, that's a reasonable concern, but I have been using regular string trimmers for 25 years at our place. I rarely see any orange string, only time I do is from a large piece cut from the original line replacement that I forgot to pick up.

Most of the plastic line comes off in fine dust or small shreds. The UV light probably destroys it in a few seasons, reverted back to its molecular components.

I'm a big lover of nature too, but maybe more of the George Carlin type.

o

If you that concerned use some hand scissors, hand Scythe or the mechinical cutter wheel with the handle. What do you think we done before all the modern tools.

o

Kudos to you for getting me thinking. The answer is yes, but as of yet- it isn't available at either of my distributors. Below is a slow loading link with a flyer. Or use the Googler and search for Oregon Biotrim. In the OEP book, it shows as becoming available in 2013 in .095 and .080"

Here is a link that might be useful: OEP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here